Crispy baked coconut shrimp is a delicious healthy appetizer that is easy to make at home in about 30 minutes. Juicy jumbo shrimp are breaded in coconut flakes, panko breadcrumbs, and lots of seasoning. These popcorn shrimp are so flavourful, way better than takeout and much healthier because they are baked and not fried.
I love cooking with shrimp because they cook so quickly and are so flavourful. Baked coconut shrimp is the easiest finger food to serve with a side of homemade spicy mayo or sweet chili sauce, or turn it into a complete weeknight dinner with a side of steamed rice, air fryer french fries or baked sweet potatoes wedges.
Ingredients in Baked Coconut Shrimp
To make baked coconut shrimp, you will need the following ingredients:
- large shrimp or prawns - about 1 lb. or 16 pieces, peeled and deveined.
- coconut oil
- Panko breadcrumbs
- unsweetened shredded coconut
- seasoning - garlic powder, paprika, salt, and pepper.
- all-purpose flour - helps the eggs stick to the shrimp, and creates a nice crust.
- eggs - helps the bread coating stick to the shrimp.
- spicy mayo dipping sauce - made with mayonnaise and hot sauce.
How to Make the Best Baked Coconut Shrimp
- Toast the breadcrumb coating. In a shallow saucepan, heat oil, breadcrumbs, and shredded coconut over medium heat. Stir constantly and toast until golden brown, about 3-4 minutes. Stir in seasoning garlic powder, paprika, salt and pepper. Mix until well combined and remove from heat. Transfer bread mixture to a shallow plate and allow it to cool down to room temperature.
- Prepare the shrimp. Cut through the shell along the back with kitchen scissors. Remove the veins and the shells (keep the tails on). Rinse to remove the veins and pat dry each shrimp completely with a paper towel.
- Dredge the shrimp. Prepare another shallow plate with flour, and another with the beaten eggs. Pat dry each shrimp completely with a paper towel. Dip each shrimp into flour to evenly coat, then dip it into the eggs, and then coat it completely with the coconut breadcrumb mixture. You can gently press the crumbs into shrimp to adhere as much as possible. (The flour sticks to the shrimp, the egg sticks to the flour, and the breadcrumbs stick to the egg).
- Bake. Transfer the breaded shrimp onto a large half sheet baking pan lined with parchment paper. Bake in a preheated 400F oven for 15 minutes until fully cooked through and coating is golden brown. Flip the shrimp once halfway through baking if you want both sides to be crispy.
- Serve. Serve immediately with spicy mayo sauce. To make the spicy mayo sauce, combine mayonnaise and hot sauce in a small bowl and stir well to combine.
- Toast the breadcrumbs. Do not skip this step. Toasting the breadcrumb mixture first is what makes the coating super crispy when baked and mimics the texture of deep frying without actually deep frying. It is the same method that I use in my baked crispy chicken strips.
- Double up the recipe. This recipe that makes about 16 coconut popcorn shrimps. You can easily double or triple the recipe to feed a crowd (or if you just want to make sure you have leftovers for lunch the next day). If scaling the recipe, make sure to not overcrowd the baking sheet (you will have to bake in multiple batches). Overcrowding your pan will cause the shrimp to steam instead of get crispy.
- How to store. Store coconut shrimp in an airtight container for up to 4 days in the refrigerator or up to 3 months in the freezer.
- How to reheat. Reheat in a 300F preheated oven or air fryer for 5-10 minutes until warmed through.
More Shrimp Recipes
- Air Fryer Jumbo Shrimp
- Shrimp Fettuccine Alfredo Pasta Bake
- Easy Grilled Shrimp Boil
- Vietnamese Salad Rolls with Peanut Dipping Sauce
- Shrimp Tacos with Lime Crema Slaw
- Grilled Cajun Shrimp Skewers
- Tiger Prawns in Garlic Ginger Soy Sauce
Did you make this recipe? I would greatly appreciate a comment and rating below, letting me know what you thought of the recipe. You can also snap a picture and tag me on Instagram @aheadofthyme or share it on the Pinterest pin so that I can follow along.