One-ingredient homemade baked apple chips are healthy, light, crispy and so crave-worthy. Plus, unlike most store-bought chips, these contain nothing other than apples, meaning no added sugar. The best part? They are so easy to make, you will be wondering why you haven't been making these all along.
Apple season is one of my favourite seasons. I use it up in everything this time of year. My favourite ways are to throw it into an apple walnut salad, into butternut squash and apple soup, and of course, into a ton of baked goodies such as apple muffins, apple hand pies, and apple crisp. My new favourite way? Baked apple chips.
What are Apple Chips?
Apple chips are apples that have been thinly sliced and dried out until super crispy and crunchy, basically until the water content has been removed. Most commercially produced apple chips use a dehydrator or other fancy equipment to make, but you can make a small batch at home in the oven in just a few simple steps.
How to Make the Best Baked Apple Chips
It is so easy to make apple chips. You will need to set aside just 5-10 minutes to prep, and allow the apples so slow-bake over 2.5 hours.
Then, prepare your apples. From the bottom of the apples, slice them into very thin slices, about ⅛ thick. Use a mandoline or a knife to slice. Place them down in a single even layer on the lined baking pan. You don't need to leave any space between them as they will shrink. For extra flavour, you can sprinkle some cinnamon on top.
Bake for 1 hour, then flip the apple slices over and bake for another 1.5 hours. If the apples aren't crispy enough, continue to bake, checking on them every 10-15 minutes.
Tips and Tricks
- Slice your apples super thin. I use a mandoline slicer on the thinest setting to slice the apples super thin and evenly. You can also use a knife. You want to slice the apples about ⅛-inch thick.
- Add some cinnamon. You can switch things up and add a little cinnamon on top for a different flavour. You can sprinkle about a teaspoon on cinnamon on top before popping the apples into the oven.
- How to store. Store homemade apple chips in an airtight container for up to 1 week at room temperature.
More Apple Recipes
- Easy Cinnamon Apple Granola
- Braided Lattice Apple Pie
- Butternut Squash and Apple Soup with Toasted Croutons
- Individual Apple Crisp
- Easy Apple Hand Pies
- Apple Walnut Salad with Homemade Balsamic Vinaigrette
- Apple Cardamom Cake with Caramel Pecan Butter Topping
- Spiced Apple Oatmeal Muffins with Crumb Topping
Did you make this recipe? I would greatly appreciate a comment and rating below, letting me know what you thought of the recipe. You can also snap a picture and tag me on Instagram @aheadofthyme or share it on the Pinterest pin so that I can follow along.