I don’t know anyone who doesn’t love ordering fried mozzarella sticks. They’re crunchy, cheesy, and usually paired with an awesome dipping sauce. Did you know that these baked mozzarella sticks are just as amazing as what you’ll find in a restaurant? And they'll definitely satisfy your craving for something crunchy, but GOOD NEWS — if the name didn't already give it away, they’re baked!
If these were fried, they’d be in hot oil for only a few minutes, and much less healthier. But because we’re baking them, you have to keep them in the oven just a couple minutes longer. Although these mozzarella sticks take less than 10 minutes to bake, remember to factor in the time for these to sit in the freezer for at least 2 hours before baking. If you don’t, the cheese will melt all over your baking sheet. And that would be sad.
But that also means that these can be made ahead of thyme time. Whether you are making this for a large group or solo, these perfect appetizers are freezer-friendly! So even if you are making these for no one but yourself, follow the recipe and make the full 24 pieces. You can freeze the unbaked cheese sticks and throw them in the oven whenever you want! I can’t wait to make these again!
You can also switch up the flavours in the breadcrumbs to totally revamp this recipe whenever you are looking for a bit of a change. Season the panko breadcrumbs with any fresh or dried herbs, but I personally think oregano or Italian seasoning is the way to go (you’re basically seasoning these the same way you would a pizza, which is why they’re so delicious dipped into marinara!).
Get creative and enjoy!
Baked Mozzarella Sticks
- Total Time: 6 minute
- Yield: 24 pieces
Crunchy, cheesy, and paired with an awesome dipping sauce, these baked mozzarella sticks are just as amazing as what you would find in a restaurant!
- 12 mozzarella string cheeses
- ½ cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 eggs, beaten
- ½ cup panko breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 cup marinara sauce or pizza sauce
- Cut string cheese in half to create 2 pieces that are smaller in length.
- Set up three shallow bowls for breading: In the first small bowl, combine flour, salt, and pepper. In the second, add the eggs. In the third, combine panko, parmesan, garlic powder, oregano and parsley.
- Begin by dredging the halved mozzarella sticks in the flour, then move to the egg and coat thoroughly on all sides. Add mozzarella sticks a few at a time to the panko breadcrumb mixture and toss to coat on all sides. Place mozzarella sticks on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper to prevent the cheese from sticking to the tray. Place in freezer for at least 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 400 F and place rack in lower third of oven. Bake mozzarella sticks for 8 minutes, or until the breadcrumbs become golden brown. Watch carefully, though, as the cheese will begin melting if left in too long! Serve warm with marinara or pizza sauce.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Freezing Time: 2 hours
- Cook Time: 8-10 minutes
- Category: Appetizer
mozzerella sticks are the best.
Sam | Ahead of Thyme says
Thank you! So happy you liked this recipe!
Sally Pederson says
These sound easy to make. I love cheese, so I'm going to try making them.
What a lovely post! This recipes look amazing. I've always been a sucker for mozzarella sticks. Thanks for sharing!
Meagan Badore says
Mozzerella sticks are one of my favorite appetizers or snacks to eat. I will be trying your recipe this weekend.
I have never thought to bake mozzarella sticks before, but it's a great idea! All of the flavor and healthier! I;; definitely be trying this recipe out, thanks for sharing!