A ball of vanilla cake crumbs and frosting, with a white chocolate coating and topped with sprinkles... I am talking about none other than the cutest bite-sized treat -- vanilla cake pops from scratch. These bites of heaven are thankfully actually so simple and easy to make, which makes them the perfect treat to serve at your next event.
I have been spending the last month planning and preparing for my son, Kai's, first birthday. Seriously, how are we even at this point right now? So I have been perfecting my cake pop recipe specifically for this party. After a few trial and errors, we have found the winner!
This recipe will yield cake pops with the perfect ratio of cake crumbs to frosting. I challenge you to have just one!
Ingredients in Homemade Cake Pops
- all-purpose flour
- baking powder and baking soda
- granulated sugar
- vanilla extract
- whole milk
- frosting - made with butter, icing sugar, whole milk, and vanilla extract.
- chocolate coating - pure white chocolate and coconut oil.
- assorted sprinkles
How to Make Cake Pops from Scratch
In summary, the key steps you need to follow before you can take a bite into that perfect cake pop are as follows:
- Bake a simple vanilla cake.
- Prepare 4-ingredient frosting.
- Crumble the cake and mix it into the frosting.
- Roll the cake pop dough into cake balls.
- Dip into melted chocolate and decorate.
So easy! And so so good. Trust me on this one.
Homemade Cake vs. Boxed Cake
When you look for cake pop recipes online, the majority of recipes you will find are ones simply requiring box cake mix and readymade icing. I mean, sure, that is pretty convenient, but you will be compromising on the taste. Big time. Nothing beats from scratch cake pops. And, it's still pretty easy to whip up a cake and pop it into the oven. The icing is also just 4 ingredients that you mix together. You can do it!
Once you have your cake and frosting, the rest of the steps are all the same. You combine the two together and roll out little cake balls. No fancy cake pop tray required. Then, dip away into melted chocolate, decorate, or just leave them as is!
More Bite-sized Dessert Recipes
- Chocolate Cake Pops
- Baked Jelly Donuts with Strawberry Jam
- Dark Chocolate Raspberry Truffles
- Nutella Mousse Cups
- Caramel Cheesecake Brownies
Did you make this recipe? I would greatly appreciate a comment and rating below, letting me know what you thought of the recipe. You can also snap a picture and tag me on Instagram @aheadofthyme or share it on the Pinterest pin so that I can follow along.
The cutest bite-sized treat to serve at any event are vanilla cake pops from scratch -- luckily, they are actually simple and easy to make!
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup butter, softened to room temperature
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup whole milk
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- ⅔ cup icing sugar
- 1 teaspoon whole milk
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 275 g pure white chocolate (approximately 10 oz)
- ⅛ teaspoon coconut oil
- 18-20 lollipop sticks
- assorted sprinkles
Make the Cake:
- Preheat the oven to 375 F. Lightly grease a round 6-inch cake pan.
- In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, cream the butter and sugar together using an electric mixer, approximately 2-3 minutes. Add egg and vanilla and continue to beat until fully mixed together.
- Slowly add one third of the flour mixture to the wet ingredients, beat until just combined. Then alternate with half of the milk. Continue adding and alternating flour mixture and milk to the batter, and ending with the flour mixture. Use a spatula scrape down the sides and to stir until just combined.
- Pour batter into the prepared cake pan. Bake for 25-30 minutes, until toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the centre of the cake. Allow cake to cool in the cake pan for 30 minutes, then remove from pan and place on wire rack until completely cooled.
Make the Frosting:
- In a large bowl, use a hand mixer to beat butter until smooth, approximately 2 minutes. Add sugar, milk, and vanilla, and continue to beat until smooth.
Assemble and Shape the Cake Balls:
- Crumble the cooled cake and place into the bowl of frosting. An easy way to crumble is to break the cake into big pieces and place it into the Vitamix. A few pulses will turn it into perfect crumbs.
- Using an electric mixer, beat together until combined and smooth, approximately 2 minutes. The cake mixture should have a play-doh like consistency.
- Take a tablespoon of cake mixture and roll it into a ball. Place on a parchment-lined baking tray. Repeat until all the mixture is used up. Place tray into the refrigerator for 1 hour.
Coat and Decorate the Cake Pops:
- Melt the white chocolate with coconut oil in a tall, narrow cup or measuring cup. Dip ¼-inch of a cake pop stick into the chocolate, and then insert it halfway into the cake ball. Completely dip the cake ball into the chocolate and lightly tap off any excess. Add some sprinkles on top. Place upright into a cake pop stand, or a styrofoam block. Repeat with all cake balls. Place cake pops in the refrigerator and allow coating to set completely, approximately one hour.
- Prep Time: 2 hours
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: vanilla cake pops from scratch, homemade cake pops, how to make cake pops, cake pops, cake pops with vanilla