Festive red and green M&M Christmas cookies are super soft and chewy, with the crispiest edges. These fun holiday cookies are so easy to make and require no chill time, which means that you can be munching on gooey, fresh out of the oven, M&M cookies in under 20 minutes. They are the perfect cookie add to your holiday baking list and one that the youngest bakers can even help with.
M&M Christmas cookies are quick and easy to bake, fun to eat, and great to gift. Which is why I love adding them to a holiday cookie box for family and friends. They are so darn cute, along with Christmas sugar cookies, Christmas shortbread cookie bites, gingerbread linzer cookies, and cranberry pistachio biscotti.
Ingredients for M&M Cookies
To make these super easy chocolate m&m cookies, you will need the following pantry staples (full quantities in recipe card below):
- sugar - both light brown sugar and granulated sugar.
- large egg
- vanilla extract
- all-purpose flour
- baking soda
- M&M's - I used red and green m&m's. You can use this recipe for any holiday and just switch up the colours. To make these cookies extra chocolatey, you can also add in ½ cup of chocolate chips.
How to Make the Best M&M Christmas Cookies
- Make the cookie dough. In a large mixing bowl, use a hand mixer or stand mixer cream together butter and sugars on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add egg and vanilla, and beat on low until incorporated. Add flour, baking soda, and salt and stir with a large wooden spoon until just combined. Fold in m&m's.
- Scoop cookie dough. Use a medium cookie scoop to scoop out 2 tablespoons of cookie dough. Drop onto a large half sheet baking tray lined with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper. For a cookie with smooth edges, use your hands to roll it into a ball, and then place on the baking sheet. Space the cookies a few inches apart (you can fit about 6-8 on a large cookie sheet). Press in extra m&m's into the top of the cookies.
- Bake. Bake in a 350 F preheated oven for 8-10 minutes, until edges just start to brown. DO NOT OVERBAKE. The cookies may not look done in the middle, but they will continue to cook as they are cooling. Remove from oven and allow the cookies to cool in the baking sheet for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire cooling rack to cool completely.
Storing and Freezing Instructions
- How to store cookies: Store M&M cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days, or in the refrigerator for up to one week.
- How to freeze cookies: These M&M cookies freeze very well. To freeze baked cookies, let them cool completely first, then store in an airtight container or freezer bag for up to 3 months.
- How to freeze cookie dough: To freeze the cookie dough before baking, scoop out the cookie balls and place on the lined baking sheet. Transfer the baking sheet to the freeze and freeze for 1 hours until hard. Then, transfer the cookie dough balls into a freezer bag and store for up to 3 months. To bake, thaw the cookie dough balls in the refrigerator overnight or at room temperature until thawed. Then, bake according to recipe instructions.
More Christmas Cookie Recipes
- 30 Best Christmas Cookies
- Christmas Sugar Cookies with Royal Icing
- Christmas Shortbread Cookie Bites
- Linzer Cookies
- Soft and Chewy Ginger Cookies
- Peanut Butter Blossoms
- Chocolate Crinkle Cookies
- Soft and Chewy White Chocolate Cranberry Cookies
Did you make this recipe? I would greatly appreciate a comment and rating below, letting me know what you thought of the recipe. You can also snap a picture and tag me on Instagram @aheadofthyme or share it on the Pinterest pin so that I can follow along.