Classic chicken salad is a creamy and delicious salad that is so easy to throw together in minutes. It's packed with shredded chicken and a sprinkle of celery and green onions all tossed in a creamy sauce that holds it all together. It's the perfect side salad to bring to a summer BBQ or office potluck, or make it ahead for a healthy lunch the next day spread in between sandwich bread or a wrap.
Why You’ll Love Chicken Salad Sandwich
- It’s quick and easy. This chicken salad sandwich consists of two steps (or three if you consider eating a step!). Simply mix all of your ingredients together. Then, put it between two slices of your favorite bread such as sourdough sandwich bread or pita bread.
- It’s versatile. Don’t want a sandwich? You can enjoy this chicken salad over a salad, as a side (I love eating it with barbecue!), or a filling in a quesadilla.
- It’s classic. If you’re looking for a classic or traditional chicken salad, this is it. You’ll love this simple chicken salad sandwich recipe which only needs chicken, celery, mayo, mustard, green onions, and seasoning.
- It’s well-balanced. This chicken salad recipe delivers the perfect ratio of sauce to chicken — and just enough celery and green onions for a kick that isn’t overwhelming. But, you can, of course, always adjust everything to your personal taste.
Ingredients and Substitutions
To make this delicious and easy Chicken Salad, you will need the following ingredients (full quantities in the recipe card below):
- shredded chicken - this is a great way to use leftover rotisserie chicken or make a fresh batch of shredded chicken easily.
- green onions
- Dijon mustard
- lemon juice
- salt and pepper
- sandwich bread slices - optional, of serving as a sandwich spread.
A classic chicken salad sandwich is good and always hits the spot, but you can totally customize this to your liking and add some extra spice. Consider making this recipe your own by adding:
- chili powder for a spicy kick
- slices grapes, apples, or pears for a hint of sweetness
- diced carrots for extra crunch
- tomatoes and cucumbers
- pickles or olives for an acidic flavor profile
How to Make the Best Chicken Salad
Chicken salad is so easy to make in just minutes. You simply combine all the ingredients in a large mixing bowl and until well combined.
The main ingredient in chicken salad is shredded chicken. It’s a great recipe to use up any leftover rotisserie chicken in, but if you don’t have any it is also really easy to make a batch of shredded chicken. Plus, you can make it in one of three ways — in the oven, stovetop, or instant pot pressure cooker.
How to Serve Chicken Salad
However you choose to serve it. Some great side dishes that go along with it include:
- Veggie Tray
- Baked Apple Chips
- Grilled Corn on the Cob
- Homemade Yogurt
- Charcuterie Board
- Garden Salad
- Fruit Salad
How to Store
Leftover chicken salad will last in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3-4 days. You should avoid storing chicken salad on bread since it will make the bread a little soggy. If you want to take it with you, consider putting a big piece of dry lettuce on both sides of the bread to protect it from the moisture inside the salad.
More Sandwich Recipes
- Egg Salad Sandwich
Tuna Melt Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- Pita Grilled Cheese
- Buffalo Turkey Wraps
- Roasted Broccoli Grilled Cheese
- Vegan Hummus Wrap
Did you make this recipe? I would greatly appreciate a comment and rating below, letting me know what you thought of the recipe. You can also snap a picture and tag me on Instagram @aheadofthyme or share it on the Pinterest pin so that I can follow along.
Classic chicken salad is a creamy delicious salad that is easy to throw together. It's the perfect side salad for a summer BBQ, potluck, or healthy lunch.
- 3 cups cooked chicken (about 2 boneless and skinless chicken breasts), finely cubed or shredded
- ½ cup celery, diced
- 2 tablespoons green onions, finely chopped
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- sandwich bread slices (optional, for servings)
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all ingredients including shredded chicken, celery, green onions, mayonnaise, mustard, lemon juice, paprika, salt, and pepper until well combined.
- Serve as is over iceberg lettuce, as a filling in between sandwich bread or pita bread, or in a grilled cheese or quesadilla.
How to store: Leftover chicken salad will last in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3-4 days. You should avoid storing chicken salad on bread since it will make the bread a little soggy. If you want to take it with you, consider putting a big piece of dry lettuce on both sides of the bread to protect it from the moisture inside the salad.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Sandwich
- Method: Tossed
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: chicken salad, chicken salad sandwich, homemade chicken salad