Caramel brownies are rich, moist, and decadent. Baked from the thickest and most indulgent chocolate batter you've ever seen, these brownie squares are topped with a creamy caramel sauce that will leave you coming back for more. Who doesn’t love the smell of freshly baked brownies wafting through their house? You can have that in less than an hour. It’s perfect when you need a plate of treats ready for your next gathering, or keeping them all to yourself (we’re not judging). Either way, these caramel brownies are a must-have recipe in your baking backpocket.
Why You'll Love Caramel Brownies
- They're topped with homemade caramel sauce. Bring a classic brownie to the next level with thick and indulgent caramel sauce. Drizzle it lightly on top, or pour it generously — either way, it will be delicious. The homemade caramel sauce is what really makes these brownies stand out.
- They deliver the perfect bite. What makes a great brownie? The right texture and taste in every bite. With this caramel brownie recipe, you bake the batter just enough to retain moistness, and the sweet, chocolatey flavour will impress no matter what.
- Who doesn't love indulgent, sweet chocolate brownies? These caramel brownies are a crowd-pleaser every time. Try this recipe once, and I promise it won't be the last time you make it. Plus, they only take an hour to bake. Perfect for a last-minute craving.
Ingredients and Substitutions
To make these delicious caramel brownies, you will need the following ingredients (full quantities in recipe card below):
- semi-sweet chocolate + cocoa powder - double the chocolate for the best brownies.
- sugar - you’ll need both granulated sugar and brown sugar. You could also substitute with either one or the other if that’s all you have.
- vanilla extract
- all-purpose flour
- caramel topping - homemade caramel sauce made with sugar, butter, and heavy cream. You can top with salted caramel sauce if you prefer, or try a store-bought caramel sauce. I find most store-bought sauces are quite runny, so you want to look for one that is on the thicker side.
How to Make the Best Caramel Brownies
- Line the pan. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease a 9-inch square baking pan and line it with parchment paper so that it hangs over two sides to make it easy to life the brownies out of the pan when baked.
- Melt chocolate and butter. Melt the chocolate with butter in a medium heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering water. Make sure the bottom of the bowl does not touch the water, or you will burn the chocolate. Whisk until melted and smooth. Remove from heat.
- Make the brownie batter. Add sugars into the chocolate mixture and whisk until completely combined. Then, whisk in eggs and vanilla, until just combined. Add in flour, cocoa powder, and salt and fold together using a large spatula until just combined. Transfer the thick batter into the prepared baking pan.
- Bake. Bake for 25-30 minutes, until a toothpick inserted comes out clean with moist a few moist crumbs attached. If it comes out clean, it's overbaked.
How to Make Homemade Caramel Sauce
For the most efficient use of time, make the caramel sauce while the brownies are baking.
- Melt sugar. Heat sugar in a large shallow saucepan over medium-high heat. Whisk continuously as the sugar as it begins to melt. It will form clumps but will eventually melt completely. This can take 10-15 minutes. Continue to stir continuously until the sugar reaches a deep amber colour. Keep a close eye because the sugar will burn if you overcook.
- Add butter. Add the butter (note that the butter will immediately begin bubbling and may splatter, so be careful). Whisk until the butter is completely melted, then cook for 1 minute without stirring.
- Add cream. Slowly pour in the heavy cream and whisk until combined in the mixture. Again, be careful as the mixture will bubble and may splatter.
- Cool. Remove from heat and allow the sauce to cool in the saucepan for 10 minutes. The caramel will thicken as it cools.
How to Assemble Caramel Brownies
Once the brownies are done, remove from the oven and place the baking pan on a wire cooling rack. Allow the brownies to cool for 10 minutes in the pan, then remove from the pan and place on the wire cooling rack.
Pour the slightly cooled caramel sauce on top of the brownies. Spread it evenly with a metal icing spatula. Allow the caramel to set, then cut into squares. You can place it in the refrigerator to help the caramel firm up faster.
Recipe Tips and Tricks
- How to serve: There are lots of ways to eat these caramel brownies! You can simply pop them in your mouth warm out if the oven, or enjoy them cooled to room temperature. You could also microwave them for a few seconds before crumbling on top of vanilla ice cream. The softened brownie and caramel sauce are so amazing when warm!
- How to store: Store caramel brownies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days. You store them for up to a week in the refrigerator. Store them in a single layer rather than stacking them up as the caramel will cause them to stick together if stacked.
- How to freeze: Caramel brownies freeze well. Store in a single layer or divide layers in between pieces of parchment paper in an airtight container and freeze for up to 3 months. Allow the brownies to thaw in the refrigerator overnight before serving, or place or on the kitchen counter for a few hours until defrosted.
More Chocolate Dessert Recipes
- Fudgy Brownies
- Molten Chocolate Lava Cakes
- Moist Chocolate Cupcakes
- Dark Chocolate Raspberry Truffles
- Double Chocolate Loaf Cake
- Chocolate Crinkle Cookies
Did you make this recipe? I would greatly appreciate a comment and rating below, letting me know what you thought of the recipe. You can also snap a picture and tag me on Instagram @aheadofthyme or share it on the Pinterest pin so that I can follow along.