Tex Mex egg muffins are a delicious, filling, and healthy breakfast or snack to get you through the day. Made with eggs, bell peppers, green onions, Tex Mex cheese, and taco seasoning, and baked until light and fluffy, these egg bites are loaded with flavor and nutrients. Plus, they are great for meal prep — easy to make ahead, freezer-friendly, and reheats really well! Ready in just 30 minutes, these egg muffins will keep you energized throughout the morning — and they’re the perfect on-the-go meal when you’re rushing out of the house.
Why You’ll Love Tex Mex Egg Muffins
- Tex Mex style food hits the spot. Short for Texas Mexican, this style of Mexican cuisine is unique to the Southern states of the US. It is big. It is bold. And it is delicious. These egg muffins are loaded with Tex Mex cheese — it’s a blend of sheddar, Monterey Jack, and queso blanco — which, along with taco seasoning, gives these egg bites their Tex Mex flavor.
- Packed with nutrients to keep you going. There’s a reason we love to eat eggs for breakfast. Each one of these Tex Mex egg muffins is packed with over 6 grams of protein, plus essential nutrients for your overall health.
- They taste as good as they look. These muffins have more than just nutrients—they’ve got flavor and style, too. With delicious flavor from eggs, veggies, cheese, and seasonings, these egg muffins come out tasting (and looking!) amazing. Plus, who can resist that gooey cheesy topping?
- They are perfect for meal prep. These Tex Mex egg bites are easy to make ahead, are freezer-friendly, and reheat so well. They are great for a quick and easy breakfast on-the-go or snack to throw into a school lunch or work lunch.
Ingredients And Substitutions
To make these easy and delicious Tex Mex egg muffins, you will need the following ingredients (full quantities in the recipe card below):
- Tex Mex cheese blend - or you can use a combination of cheddar cheese, Monterey Jack cheese, and queso blanco or mozzarella.
- red bell pepper - feel free to use any color bell pepper.
- green onion
- taco seasoning - feel free to use store-bought seasoning or homemade. To make homemade taco seasoning, you will need salt, cumin, paprika, garlic powder, dried oregano, and ground black pepper.
Tex Mex egg muffins are 100% customizable. Feel free to add in any other veggies that you like. Some great options are: jalapeños, tomatoes, black beans, and corn.
How To Make The Best Tex Mex Egg Muffins
- Combine ingredients. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together eggs, cheese, bell pepper, green onion, and taco seasoning until smooth.
- Divide batter. Pour the egg mixture into each muffin cup, filling it about ¾ full to prevent overflow. Top with remaining cheese.
- Bake. Grease a 12-cup silicone muffin pan generously with cooking spray oil. Bake in a 350 F preheated oven for 20 minutes until fully set. Let the egg muffins cool slightly, then serve.
- How to store: Keep leftover egg muffins in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days. Allow them to cool to room temperature before wrapping individually in plastic wrap or storing in an airtight container.
- How to freeze: Allow the egg bites to cool completely, then wrap them the individually in plastic wrap and store in a freezer bag. Freeze for up to 2-3 months.
- How to reheat: You can eat these Tex Mex egg muffins cold (especially if you’re in a hurry), or you can reheat them in the microwave for 10-30 seconds on low to medium heat. For best results, pop them in a 350F oven for 10 minutes, or air fryer for 5 minutes.
More Egg Recipe
- Spring Vegetable Frittata
- Egg Salad Sandwich
- Spinach and Feta Quiche with Cauliflower Crust
- Egg and Potato Breakfast Casserole
- Deviled Eggs
Did you make this recipe? I would greatly appreciate a comment and rating below, letting me know what you thought of the recipe. You can also snap a picture and tag me on Instagram @aheadofthyme or share it on the Pinterest pin so that I can follow along.