Baked zucchini with marinara and melted cheese is about to save your weeknight dinner routine. It’s vegetarian, gluten free, and packed with flavor. Best of all? It’s insanely satisfying. Honestly, I feel like I’m eating a veggie pizza with this one.
Baking the zucchini like this will transform the texture of the squash into something creamy — you won’t even need a knife to cut it! Try to use smaller zucchini if you can find them, as they will cook evenly and quickly.
My favorite way to serve the zucchini is with mixed greens dressed simply with olive oil, salt and pepper. But of course, you can serve this on it’s own as an appetizer, side dish, or main course! So go ahead, give this a try, and enjoy this light summer meal, guilt free, any night of the week!
Baked zucchini with marinara and melted cheese is about to save your weeknight dinner routine. It’s vegetarian, gluten free, and packed with flavor.
- 5 small zucchini
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup mozzarella, shredded
- 2 tablespoons parmesan, grated
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 cup marinara sauce
- Basil, parsley, oregano (optional, for garnish)
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Cut each zucchini in half lengthwise, then line up on a rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil, salt, and pepper, then bake for 25 minutes, or until a knife inserted into the center goes in easily and the zucchini are completely tender.
- While zucchini is baking, combine mozzarella, parmesan, and Italian seasoning in a small bowl, then stir to combine.
- Top each zucchini with about 2 tablespoons marinara, then sprinkle each with an equal amount of the cheese mixture. Broil on high until cheese is golden brown and bubbly, about 2-3 minutes. Garnish with fresh herbs (optional) and serve immediately.