Chocolate zucchini cake is moist, fluffy, and delicious. Loaded with fresh zucchini for a burst of nutrition, and topped with a homemade cream cheese icing, this cake is always a big hit. If you love cake with a melt-in-your-mouth texture, then this zucchini cake is for you. The best part? The batter is super easy to throw together in about 10 minutes. So what you waiting for? Indulge in this unique chocolate cake this summer.
Why You’ll Love Chocolate Zucchini Cake
- Loaded with fresh zucchini. The not-so-secret ingredient — zucchini — adds texture, moisture, and little to no flavor. As far as vegetables go, zucchini is pretty flavorless. Which makes this summer squash a great addition when baking (and a great way to use up that abundant veggie from your garden). You basically get all the pros and none of the cons!
- It’s a healthier alternative to regular cake! Sure, you’re not avoiding the calories or the sugar, but you are adding some veggies and essential nutrients to your diet. This chocolate zucchini cake is good for health-conscious friends and kids who don’t like to eat their veggies.
- You’ll love the sweet cream cheese icing. Once you top this chocolate zucchini cake with your homemade cream cheese icing, you’ll see that you’re capable of creating a culinary masterpiece. With a dash of honey or maple syrup (or both!), the sweet icing pairs perfectly with the chocolate zucchini cake.
Ingredients and Substitutions
To make this easy and delicious chocolate zucchini cake, you need the following ingredients (full quantities in recipe card below):
- all-purpose flour
- brown sugar
- cocoa powder
- mini chocolate chips - I prefer the smaller texture of the mini chocolate chips in these, but feel free to use regular chocolate chips if you prefer.
- baking soda + baking powder
- vegetable oil
- cream cheese icing - made in just minutes with cream cheese, milk, honey (or maple syrup), and confectioners’ sugar.
How to Make the Best Chocolate Zucchini Cake
- Combine dry ingredients. In a large mixing bowl, whisk to combine all the dry ingredients including flour, sugar, cocoa powder, chocolate chips, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- Combine wet ingredients. In a medium mixing bowl, whisk to combine all the wet ingredients including grated zucchini, oil, and eggs.
- Add wet ingredients into dry ingredients. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Stir with a silicone spatula until the ingredients are distributed evenly. Make sure not to over mix.
- Bake. Carefully transfer the mixture into a greased 8-inch baking pan. Bake in a 350 F preheated oven for 50 to 55 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Cool. Let the cake cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then invert onto a wire cooling rack and cool completely.
How to Make Cream Cheese Icing
Then, use an icing spatula to spread the cream cheese icing evenly over the chocolate cake. Slice and serve.
- How to store un-iced cake: Store un-iced zucchini chocolate cake in an airtight container or wrapped tightly in plastic wrap at room temperature for 1-2 days. If you want your cake to last longer, store it in the refrigerator for up to one week. Store the icing separately in another airtight container for up to 3 days. To extend the life of homemade cream cheese icing, keep it in the freezer for up to one month.
- How to store leftover iced cake: If you’ve already iced the whole cake, store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
More Recipes with Zucchini
- Baked Zucchini with Marinara and Cheese
- Shrimp Scampi with Zucchini Noodles
- Ground Beef Stuffed Peppers
- Sheet Pan Lamb Chops
Did you make this recipe? I would greatly appreciate a comment and rating below, letting me know what you thought of the recipe. You can also snap a picture and tag me on Instagram @aheadofthyme or share it on the Pinterest pin so that I can follow along.