Chocolate zucchini cake is moist, fluffy, and delicious. Loaded with fresh zucchini for a burst of nutrition, and topped with a homemade cream cheese icing.
For the chocolate zucchini cake:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup mini chocolate chips, semi-sweet
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 medium zucchini, peeled and grated (about 1 cup)
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
For the cream cheese icing:
- 1/2 cup cream cheese, softened at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 2 tablespoons honey (or maple syrup)
- 1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease an 8-inch square pan with cooking oil spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk to combine all the dry ingredients including flour, sugar, cocoa powder, chocolate chips, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk to combine all the wet ingredients including grated zucchini, oil, and eggs.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Stir with a silicone spatula until the ingredients are distributed evenly. Make sure not to over mix.
- Carefully transfer the mixture into the greased baking pan. Bake for 50 to 55 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then invert onto a wire cooling rack and cool completely.
- Meanwhile, make the cream cheese icing by combining the softened cream cheese, milk, honey and sugar into a small mixing bowl. Mix well using a whisk or a hand mixer until smooth.
- Use an icing spatula to spread the cream cheese icing evenly over the chocolate cake. Slice and serve.
airtight container or wrapped tightly in plastic wrap at room temperature for 1-2 days. If you want your cake to last longer, store it in the refrigerator for up to one week. Store the icing separately in another airtight container for up to 3 days. To extend the life of homemade cream cheese icing, keep it in the freezer for up to one month.Store un-iced zucchini chocolate cake in an
How to store leftover iced cake: If you’ve already iced the whole cake, store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Category: Cake
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: chocolate zucchini cake, zucchini chocolate cake, chocolate cake with zucchini, zucchini cake,