Dinner is so quick and easy when it involves shredded chicken. Whether you have a batch ready to use in your favorite recipes or need to spend just 20 minutes making a fresh batch, it might just become your go-to on busy weeknights. So if you are wondering "what to cook with shredded chicken", then you are in the right place. We are sharing over 30 of our most popular and best shredded chicken recipes including shredded chicken itself (in three different ways), chicken soups, sandwiches, casseroles, pizza, pasta, salads, and more.
Best Shredded Chicken Recipes
First, you need shredded chicken. Shredded chicken is quick and easy to make in three ways, including over the stove, in the oven, or in the instant pot pressure cooker. Plus, you can make a big batch because it's freezer-friendly. It’s a staple ingredient to add to other recipes such as soup, salads, and sandwiches.
Creamy white chicken and spinach lasagna with tender shredded chicken is the most comforting creamiest cheesiest white lasagna. Easy to make ahead & freeze.
Homemade chicken noodle soup is classic, comforting, simple, quick, and easy to make at home. Plus, you can use cooked shredded chicken to save time.
Homemade chicken pot pie is loaded with a delicious, creamy, savory filling contained by a crispy, buttery, and flaky pie crust. It stores and freezes well.
Easy baked chicken enchiladas brings the taste of authentic Mexican food into your kitchen -- saucy, spicy, and savoury. Perfect for a Mexican fiesta on Cinco de Mayo.
White chicken chili is an easy and delicious one pot meal made with shredded chicken, hearty veggies, and a creamy broth that's loaded with flavor.
Classic chicken salad is a creamy delicious salad that is easy to throw together. It's the perfect side salad for a summer BBQ, potluck, or healthy lunch.
ForgForget delivery and make sweet, tangy, and smoky BBQ chicken pizza from the comfort of your own home in under 30 minutes. The easiest weeknight dinner with shredded chicken.
Chicken penne pasta is a quick and easy dinner that is delicious, rich, creamy, and flavorful. It’s a family favorite that’s ready in under 30 minutes. Easily use shredded chicken instead.
Chicken Potato Soup is cozy, hearty, and delicious — loaded with chicken, potatoes, veggies, and greens simmered in a creamy broth. Ready in 40 minutes.
Greek chicken salad is fresh, healthy, and delicious, packed with classic Mediterranean flavors. Perfect as a light lunch or dinner, or for meal prep. Substitute the chicken breast for cooked shredded chicken.
Flavourful curry chicken fried rice with chicken, mushrooms, peas, rice, and curry flavours is so easy to make in less than 10 minutes on busy weeknights. Serve with a fresh Chinese garlic cucumber salad on the side.
Chicken parmesan stuffed peppers are delicious, flavorful, healthy, and filling, and combines two all-time favorites. Great for meal prep and freezes well.
Baked Chicken Quesadillas are cheesy, crispy, flavorful, and delicious. This family-friendly recipe is quick and easy to make in just 30 minutes! Easily make it with leftover shredded chicken.
Creamy tetrazzini with spinach is a simple, easy and delicious pasta recipe that is comforting, creamy and cheesy. The recipe used turkey, but you can easily substitute it with cooked shredded chicken instead.
Smooth, hearty and light, one pot lemon chicken orzo soup is pure comfort in a bowl. This family favourite is like chicken noodle soup with an upgrade. Shredded chicken instructions in recipe tips.
Chicken nachos are an easy to make when you’re craving something filling, crunchy, cheesy, and satisfying. Perfect game day appetizer or late-night snack. One of my favorite shredded chicken recipes.
Vietnamese summer rolls with chicken are fresh, light, and healthy. This Asian summer snack takes less than 20 minutes to make and easier than you think.
Coconut turkey curry is creamy, rich, and flavorful. This delicious curry is the perfect recipe to make when you have turkey leftovers, ready in 30 minutes! Easily substitute the turkey with shredded chicken.
Hearty chicken tortilla soup is a delicious, wholesome and filling soup that you can make in about 30 minutes, packed with classic Mexican flavours.
No more takeout when you can make flavourful, restaurant-style, authentic chicken Pad Thai at home in just 10 minutes. It's sweet, savoury, sour and nutty. Shredded chicken instructions in recipe tips.
Quick easy buffalo turkey wraps with homemade buffalo sauce are flavorful, spicy, and delicious. Substitute with cooked shredded chicken for a delicious lunch that will keep you full until dinner.
Creamy turkey gnocchi soup is the ultimate comfort food — creamy, rich, and delicious, made with good carbs, clean protein, and veggies in 25 minutes. Make it with shredded chicken instead!
Chicken garden salad with ranch dressing is fresh, healthy, hearty, and colorful. It's a filling and wholesome lunch or dinner that is versatile too.
Quick and easy butternut squash quesadillas with chicken and kale is the best fall weeknight meal. It's flavourful, so cheesy, and has the perfect crunch.
Chicken and rice soup is delicious, warm, cozy, and comforting feel-good meal that can warm you up on a chilly day. Easy to make in one pot.
Salsa verde green chicken enchiladas are delicious and flavorful, quick and easy to make, and saucy and spicy. Authentic Mexican food ready in 40 minutes.
Try this gorgeous combination of BBQ chicken, scallions, cilantro and gruyere for an explosion of flavour in loaded BBQ chicken stuffed baked potatoes.
Warm and cozy, creamy turkey orzo soup is wholesome, hearty, filling, and flavourful. Make this delicious one pot meal using shredded chicken instead in just 30 minutes.
Leftover turkey stuffed peppers are a nutritious, wholesome and healthy dinner that you can throw together easily and quickly. Easily substitute this crowd-pleaser with shredded chicken.
Simple, healthy and flavourful chicken and couscous with sun-dried tomatoes is ready in under 30 minutes. The easiest weeknight dinner to make tonight! Easily use shredded chicken instead.
Wholesome hearty one pot leftover turkey wild rice soup can be adapted easily for chicken instead of turkey. It's the most comforting way to use shredded chicken.
Leftover turkey fried rice with turkey, fluffy rice, scrambled eggs, vegetables, and classic Asian seasonings is a one skillet meal made in just 10 minutes. Easily substitute the turkey in this recipe with leftover shredded chicken.
Leftover turkey potato chowder is a creamy, savory, and delicious soup that is loaded with holiday leftovers. Quick and easy, ready in under 30 minutes. Easily substitute the turkey for shredded chicken.
Need a pasta dish with layers of flavour in under 30 minutes? Look no further! Baked pasta with rotisserie chicken (or shredded chicken), earthy and warm shiitake mushrooms, and nutty asiago cheese is the perfect weeknight (or fancy date night) meal!
How to Use Shredded Chicken
Some other go to ways to use shredded chicken are:
- Salads. Top it on salads to add extra protein and flavor.
- Sandwiches. Stuff it into sandwiches and wraps for an healthy lunch the next day.
- Pizza. Top it onto pizza, like Butter Chicken Pizza.
- Pasta. Add it to pasta. I love adding it to Fettuccine Alfredo or Pesto Penne Pasta.
Did You Make Any of These Leftover Rotisserie Chicken Recipes?
Please leave a comment and rating below, and let me know what you thought of this round up of these easy leftover rotisserie chicken recipes. Be sure to snap a picture and tag me on Instagram @aheadofthyme or share it on the Pinterest pin so that I can follow along.Print
Over 30 best shredded chicken recipes for quick and easy dinners including chicken soups, sandwiches, casseroles, pizza, pasta, salads, and more. This is my go to shredded chicken recipe (that can be made in 3 ways).
- 4 boneless and skinless chicken breasts (about 2 pounds)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper (or to taste)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup chicken broth
Cook the chicken
You can cook the chicken in one of three ways, either on the stove, in the instant pot, or in the oven.
- Stovetop method. Use a paper towel to pat the chicken breasts completely dry. Season with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a large skillet or 4 quart Dutch oven over medium-high heat until the hot oil sizzles, about 1 minute. Add chicken and sear until golden brown, about 5 minutes per side. Pour in chicken broth and cover the lid. Bring to a boil until the chicken is fully cooked through, about 10-12 minutes. The internal temperature of the chicken should be 165F. You can check for doneness by inserting a meat thermometer into the thickest part of the chicken to get a quick reading.
- Instant pot. Place chicken breasts and 1 cup chicken broth (or water) in the inner pot of the instant pot and season with salt and pepper. Feel free to customize and add any other seasonings that you like. Switch the instant pot to pressure cooking mode on manual High and seal the lid (the steam release knob must be turned to the sealed position). Set the timer for 10-12 minutes. Once the time is up, you can let the instant pot slowly release the pressure, about 15 minutes or quick release the remaining pressure by turning the steam release valve to the venting position.
- Oven method. Preheat oven to 350F. Place the chicken breasts on a large plate and season with oil, salt, and pepper on both sides. You can also combine chicken with all seasoning in a large zip-loc bag. Press the air out of the bag and seal tightly. Press the seasoning around the chicken to coat. Once the oven is ready, place the chicken in a baking sheet and pour in 1 cup chicken broth (or water). Cover the pan with aluminium foil. Bake for 30-35 minutes until the internal temperature for the chicken reaches 165F.
Shred the chicken:
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Chicken
- Method: Various
- Cuisine: American