Quick and easy tomato and mozzarella caprese salad is a fresh, light, and delicious summer salad. Made with just a few simple ingredients -- crisp tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, and basil -- tossed together with a balsamic dressing that brings out all the vibrant flavors. Ready in under 10 minutes, it's the perfect salad to make for a summer potlock, picnic, or BBQ, or just when you are craving something healthy for lunch.
Why You'll Love Tomato and Mozzarella Caprese Salad
- A twist on traditional caprese salad. Traditional caprese salad is made with sliced tomatoes, sliced mozzarella, and basil leaves, layered on a plate. We use cherry tomatoes, mozzarella balls, and chopped basil instead and toss everything together. It's so much easier to make and eat.
- It's packed with flavor. Just because this salad is made with a few simple ingredients, doesn't mean it sacrifices on taste. This salad is loaded with fresh summer flavors that shine through in every bite. Fresh tomato, basil, and mozzarella were just meant to be put together. And the balsamic dressing? It's the perfect pairing.
- Perfect for a summer BBQ. This caprese salad is light and fresh, perfect for a summer potlock or BBQ. Some of my other favorite summer salads perfect for a BBQ are: Italian Pasta Salad, Macaroni Salad, Creamy Cucumber Salad, and Classic Coleslaw.
Ingredients and Substitutions
To make this simple tomato and mozzarella caprese salad, you will need the following ingredients:
- cherry tomatoes - you can substitute with grape tomatoes as well. If using grape tomatoes, you can opt out of slicing them as they are already in bite-sized pieces.
- mozzarella balls (bocconcini)
- fresh basil
- olive oil
- balsamic vinegar
- dried oregano - you can substitute this with Italian seasoning.
- salt and pepper
- balsamic reduction - this is optional, for drizzle on top. Feel free to use a store-bought balsamic glaze of make homemade balsamic glaze in a few minutes.
How to Make the Best Caprese Salad
This salad is so easy to throw together. First combine the tomatoes, mozzarella, and basil together in a large mixing bowl or serving dish. Then, make the dressing by whisking together the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, dried oregano (or Italian seasoning), salt, and pepper, in a small mixing bowl. Pour the dressing into the salad and toss to combine. Top with a drizzle of balsamic reduction (optional).
How to Serve
Pair this fresh tomato and mozzarella caprese salad with some of our favorite summer dishes:
- Classic Juicy Hamburgers
- The Best Ribeye Steak
- Greek Chicken Souvlaki Skewers
- Garlic Shrimp Skewers
- Mediterranean Chicken Patties
- Grilled Corn on the Cob
Recipe Tips and Tricks
- Make ahead instructions: To make this salad ahead of time, I would suggest prepping the ingredients, making the balsamic dressing, and storing in separate airtight containers. When ready to serve, assemble the salad and pour in the dressing.
- Chill if you have time. You can assemble the salad about 1-2 hours before serving and allowing it to chill in the refrigerator to bring out the flavors even more.
- How to store: Caprese salad is best eaten fresh since the balsamic vinegar will start to soften the salad ingredients. If you do have leftovers, store in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 1 day.
More Salad Recipes
- 40 Best Salad Recipes
- Italian Pasta Salad
- Tomato Cucumber Avocado Salad
- Greek Salad with Lettuce
- Peach Arugula Salad
- Chicken Garden Salad
- Persian Shirazi Salad with Cucumber and Tomato
Did you make this recipe? I would greatly appreciate a comment and rating below, letting me know what you thought of the recipe. You can also snap a picture and tag me on Instagram @aheadofthyme or share it on the Pinterest pin so that I can follow along.