This creamy cucumber salad is the easy, refreshing snack and side dish your summer cookouts have been missing. Fresh cucumber slices and red onions come together tossed a creamy dressing of sour cream and mayo, and seasoned with fresh dill. This cool salad can easily be made ahead of time with just 5 minutes of prep. This might be the easiest salad recipe you’ll ever make. Eat it on its own as a light and refreshing lunch, or pair it with some protein for a complete dinner.
Why You’ll Love Creamy Cucumber Salad
- Refreshing and creamy salad. Cucumbers are good for more than just cucumber water. This cool cucumber salad is extra refreshing with added onions and fresh dill, and the creamy dressing complements these flavors beautifully.
- Packed with nutrients. Cucumbers are a naturally low-calorie food, but they are high in nutrients like vitamins C and K, magnesium, potassium, and manganese. They also have healthy carbs, antioxidants, and fiber that your body needs.
- A healthy side for summer cookouts. A good meal is always made better when you know that it’s healthy. Cucumbers can help keep you hydrated with their high water content, and they boast other health benefits such as heart health and lowered blood sugar. It's a great way to balance out other dishes at your next BBQ or summer cookout.
Ingredients and Substitutions
To make this delicious and easy creamy cucumber salad, you will need the following ingredients:
- English cucumbers - cucumbers are the start of this salad, so you want to use fresh ones. Cucumbers will typically last in the fridge for up to 2 weeks, but this recipe tastes much better when you use the freshest cucumbers. If your cucumber is wrinkled, dented, or soft, it’s time to throw it away.
- red onion - if you are not a fan of raw onions, you can just leave these out.
- sour cream - you can substitute this with Greek yogurt.
- fresh dill - I prefer this salad seasoned with just dill. If you want more seasoning, you could consider adding other fresh herbs such as basil, parsley, cilantro, or oregano.
- white vinegar - you can use other kinds of vinegar here, but it will slightly alter the taste. You can try balsamic vinegar, apple cider vinegar, or white wine vinegar.
- garlic powder
- salt and pepper - you can also add a dash of sugar for added sweetness.
How to Make the Best Creamy Cucumber Salad
- Combine vegetables. In a large serving plate, toss to combine cucumbers and red onion.
- Make the creamy dressing. In a medium bowl, combine sour cream, mayonnaise, dill, white vinegar, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Whisk until smooth.
- Assemble. Add dressing to the cucumber and red onions, and toss to combine.
- Refrigerate. Refrigerate for one hour to help the flavours infuse, then serve.
- Make ahead instructions: Easily prep the ingredients ahead of time (chop up the vegetables and make the dressing). You can store the salad and dressing in separate airtight containers, or store them together. In fact, this salad taste even better after it's been assembled and then stored in the refrigerator for at least one hour, up to overnight.
- How to store: Creamy cucumber salad will last in the fridge for up to 3 days. While you can eat it after 3 days, the vinegar could cause the cucumbers to become a little limp. Eat it up while those veggies are crisp and delicious!
More Salad Recipes
- Chinese Garlic Cucumber Salad
- Persian Shirazi Salad with Cucumber and Tomatoes
- The Best Greek Salad
- Mediterranean Orzo Pasta Salad
- Lemon Kale Salad
- Mediterranean Chickpea Wedge Salad
- Chopped Asparagus Salad
Did you make this recipe? I would greatly appreciate a comment and rating below, letting me know what you thought of the recipe. You can also snap a picture and tag me on Instagram @aheadofthyme or share it on the Pinterest pin so that I can follow along.