Lemon kale salad is a simple, flavorful, and healthy meal that’s thrown together in just minutes! The star of the show is kale, but cherry tomatoes, cheese, and croutons add more great taste and textures to this delicious salad. And the lemon dressing? Well that is ridiculously easy to make as well, with just a few ingredients that you likely already have in your pantry. This shredded kale salad is perfect for a quick lunch, but is just as great served as a side or appetizer with dinner.
Why You’ll Love Lemon Kale Salad
- Super simple recipe. This lemon kale salad recipe is so easy anyone can make it. Essentially, you throw all the ingredients together into one bowl, and voila! You have a delicious shredded kale salad.
- Healthy and delicious. Kale is one of the most nutrient-dense foods on the planet, packed with Vitamins A, K, and C as well as beneficial antioxidants and more—plus, it has great flavor! Lemon kale salad is a healthy and delicious meal that feels light and still fills you up.
- Versatile dressing. With a dressing primarily composed of lemon juice and olive oil, you can adjust the seasoning in this lemon kale salad to fit your taste perfectly or give you some variety when you decide to make it again.
Ingredients and Substitutions
To make this delicious and light lemon kale salad, you will need a large mixing bowl and the following ingredients:
- kale - you will need about 5 cups of shredded kale. To shred kale, you will need to cut the leaves off of the stem, and then slice them into thin strips.
- cherry tomatoes - or grape tomatoes.
- croutons - I used seasoned garlic croutons, but you can use plain croutons or any flavor that you would like.
- cheddar cheese - or substitute this with your favourite kind of cheese that is easily grated. A popular option is Parmesan cheese.
- lemon dressing - made with olive oil, fresh lemon juice, Parmesan cheese, garlic powder, and salt and pepper. You can also adjust the flavors in the dressing by adding in your favorite dried herbs.
Thinking of adding in any other ingredients? Go for it. This salad is completely customizable. You can add in your favourite veggies such as cucumbers, onions, and spinach. You can also add in some protein for a complete meal such as shredded roast chicken, chickpeas, shrimp, or salmon.
How to Make the Best Lemon Kale Salad
This shredded kale salad with lemon vinaigrette is one of the easiest salads that you can make. You literally just combine all your salad ingredients into a large mixing bowl or serving plate. Make the dressing in a smaller bowl and then pour it into the salad, and toss to combine.
Make Ahead and Storing Tips
- Make ahead instructions: Easily prep the ingredients ahead of time (chop up the vegetables and make the dressing). Store the salad and dressing in separate airtight containers in the refrigerator for up to one week. Be sure to wait to add the croutons and cheese until just before serving as they can become soggy when tossed with dressing.
- How to store: Typically, you will want to store the salad ingredients and the dressing separately to avoid the greens from getting wilted. However, kale is one of the heartiest greens out there, so it can withstand the dressing quite well. So, if you are unable to store them separately, it can last up to 3 days in an airtight container in the refrigerator. If there are still croutons in there, you can choose to remove them as they will get soggy.
More Salad Recipes
- Winter Kale Salad with Apple Cider Vinaigrette
- The Best Greek Salad
- Mediterranean Chickpea Wedge Salad
- Chopped Asparagus Salad
- Arugula and Roasted Carrot Salad
- Mediterranean Orzo Pasta Salad
- Persian Shirazi Salad with Cucumber and Tomatoes
- Chinese Garlic Cucumber Salad
Did you make this recipe? I would greatly appreciate a comment and rating below, letting me know what you thought of the recipe. You can also snap a picture and tag me on Instagram @aheadofthyme or share it on the Pinterest pin so that I can follow along.