Roasted balsamic chicken with cranberries is a quick and easy weeknight dinner perfect for cozy fall and winter nights. This sheet pan meal is made with flavourful, succulent and tender boneless chicken thighs marinated in a delicious sweet and tangy balsamic marinade and is roasted with red onions and cranberries for the most amazing flavour. The best part? This 30-minute dinner is so easy to prep and even quicker to eat if you marinate the chicken in advance. You will not believe how much flavour is packed into one dish with so little prep.
You will need a few ingredients to make this meal, and chances are that you will have most of them stocked up already.
- chicken thighs - I used boneless chicken thighs. You can also use bone-in thighs but the cook time will be slightly longer at about 30 minutes. Check for doneness using a meat thermometer. It will be done once it reads 165 F.
- chicken marinade - made with balsamic vinegar, olive oil, red wine vinegar, honey, salt and pepper. This marinade adds the perfect sweet and tangy flavour to perfectly roasted chicken thighs.
- red onion
- cranberries - I used fresh cranberries, but you can also use frozen. So while you might not have cranberries in your kitchen all year round, there’s a good chance that during the holiday season you’ve got some leftover bags in the freezer that need to be used up. Here’s your chance to turn them into something unexpected and unforgettable.
- tarragon - if you don’t have tarragon, you can switch it up with your favourite herbs — oregano, thyme, rosemary, whatever you’ve got.
How to Make the Best Roasted Balsamic Chicken with Cranberries
- Marinate the chicken thighs: In a medium mixing bowl, combine balsamic vinegar, 2 tablespoons olive oil, red wine vinegar, honey, salt, and pepper, and stir to combine. Add chicken thighs to the marinade, then toss to combine. Cover the bowl and refrigerate for 30 minutes to marinate, up to overnight.
- Assemble the sheet pan: Coat a rimmed baking sheet with remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil. Then, add red onions in an even layer, and scatter chicken thighs between them, pouring the extra marinade on top of the onions. Add the cranberries and place a few sprigs of fresh tarragon on top.
- Roast: Roast in a 425F preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes, or until juice from chicken run clear (when thickest part of the thigh reads at least 165 F on a meat thermometer).
How to store: Transfer any leftovers into an airtight container with the juices from the pan, and refrigerate for up to 4 days. To reheat, place in the microwave, air fryer at 300F for 5 minutes, or in the oven at 300F for 10 minutes.
How to Serve Balsamic Chicken with Cranberries
I like to serve this roasted balsamic chicken with cranberries with a side of creamy mashed potatoes or creamy garlic mashed cauliflower to soak up the delicious pan drippings, and a big salad to add some green and complete the meal.
More Sheet Pan Chicken Recipes
- One Pan Garlic Roasted Chicken and Baby Potatoes
- Sheet Pan Balsamic Chicken and Vegetables
- Tandoori Chicken Sheet Pan Dinner
- Sheet Pan Curry Chicken and Vegetables
- Soy Glazed Chicken Thighs
- Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas
Did you make this recipe? I would greatly appreciate a comment and rating below, letting me know what you thought of the recipe. You can also snap a picture and tag me on Instagram @aheadofthyme or share it on the Pinterest pin so that I can follow along.