Watermelon feta salad is a simple and delicious refreshing summer salad that you need in your life this season. Fresh, juicy watermelon is tossed with crunchy cucumbers, tangy feta cheese, and refreshing mint. It's the perfect side dish to bring to your next BBQ or potluck, or to serve at home on a hot sunny day. The best part is that you can toss everything together in about 5 minutes. You can’t go wrong with a salad this easy and delicious.
Why You’ll Love Watermelon Feta Salad
- Quick and easy. Watermelon feta salad may be one of the fastest salads you’ll ever throw together. With a few simple ingredients, you can prep and toss everything together in about 5 minutes.
- Best pairing of ingredients. You get everything with this watermelon feta salad when it comes to flavor. The sweet, crisp, and refreshing watermelon and cucumber pair perfectly with the savory taste of feta cheese. Fresh mint and lemon juice add a special kick that you don’t want to miss.
- Pairs with all summer dishes. Watermelon feta salad pairs well with almost anything. It’s the best side dish for a barbecue this summer, and it tastes great on the same plate as macaroni salad, juicy hamburgers, BBQ ribs, chicken skewers, and other classic summer grilling dishes.
Ingredients and Substitutions
To make this simple and delicious watermelon feta salad with cucumbers, you will need the following ingredients:
- watermelon - you will need 4 cups of watermelon, which is about ½ of a medium sized watermelon.
- English cucumber - you will need one long English cucumber, or about 1-2 cups cubed cucumber.
- fresh mint - you can substitute mint with fresh basil as well.
- feta cheese - you can substitute this with goat cheese if desired, or leave it out for a vegan salad.
- olive oil - I would recommend using a high-quality olive oil.
- lemon juice - you can substitute with lime juice as well.
- salt and pepper
The great thing about having a cold watermelon feta salad is that you can customize it with your favorite flavors. You can consider adding: balsamic vinegar, sliced red onions, fresh spinach, and sliced almonds.
How to Make the Best Watermelon Feta Salad
- Combine salad ingredients. In a large mixing bowl or serving platter, add watermelon, cucumber, mint, and feta cheese.
- Make dressing. In a small mixing bowl, whisk to combine olive oil, lemon juice, salt, and pepper.
- Toss together. Pour dressing over the salad and toss to combine. Season with additional salt and pepper if desired, to taste. Sprinkle with extra feta cheese if desired and serve immediately.
Recipe Tips and Tricks
- How to cut a watermelon: The easiest way to cut your melon (if you don’t have a melon baller) is to slice it in half. Then, cut the halves into thirds or quarters lengthwise (depending on the side of your melon). Then, slice off the rind from the meat with a large knife. Now, you can simply slice the soft melon into squares instead of cutting through the rind each time you slice the watermelon.
- Make ahead instructions: To make ahead, you can prep the ingredients (cube the watermelon and cucumbers), and make the dressing. Store the salad ingredients in a separate airtight container from the dressing. When ready to serve, toss everything together. I would not recommend tossing together and storing before serving.
- How to store: Watermelon feta salad tastes best fresh, within the first 1-2 hours of preparing it. If you do have leftovers, you can store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Note that the longer you store, the soggier the salad can get.
More Summer Salad Recipes
- Creamy Cucumber Salad
- Italian Pasta Salad
- Summer Fruit Salad
- Macaroni Salad
- Potato Salad
- Summer Corn Salad
Did you make this recipe? I would greatly appreciate a comment and rating below, letting me know what you thought of the recipe. You can also snap a picture and tag me on Instagram @aheadofthyme or share it on the Pinterest pin so that I can follow along.