Air fryer chicken thighs are the crispiest, tastiest, and juiciest chicken you'll eat all week. They’re marinated in a delicious and flavorful seasoning blend, then cooked in the air fryer for only 25 minutes until they reach crisp perfection on the outside and juicy and tender inside. It’s a perfect recipe for busy weeknights and it’s kid-friendly so the whole family will love it!
Why You’ll Love Air Fryer Chicken Thighs
- There's nothing better than crispy skin. All it takes for the crispiest skin is 25 minutes in your air fryer. You’ll seriously be amazed at the crunchy texture and may never cook chicken any other way! Expect these chicken thighs to stir fights over who gets to eat the last piece.
- Good marinades make good chicken. On its own, chicken tends to need a little boost in the flavor department. It’s not like a good steak that only needs some salt and pepper. For these air fryer chicken thighs, you’ll create a masterful blend of oil, Worcestershire sauce, balsamic vinegar, and an awesome seasoning mix to give you the most flavorful chicken ever.
- Juicy tender chicken with little effort. These air fryer chicken thighs only require 5 minutes of prep time. Then all you have to do is wait for it to marinate, pop into the air fryer, and sit back and relax while your air fryer does all the magic.
Ingredients and Substitutions
To make these easy air fryer chicken thighs, you will need the following ingredients (full quantities in the recipe card below):
- chicken thighs
- vegetable oil
- salt and pepper
- garlic powder
- Italian seasoning
- Worcestershire sauce - this adds delicious flavor but it's optional. You can also substitute it with soy sauce.
- balsamic vinegar
How to Make the Best Air Fryer Chicken Thighs
- Marinate the chicken. Place chicken thighs in a large ziploc bag. Add oil and all seasoning. Seal the bag and shake well. Press the air out of the bag and make sure it’s tightly sealed. Press the seasoning around the chicken to coat (You can also marinate it in a bowl covered with plastic cling wrap). Place in the refrigerator and marinate for at least 1 hour, up to overnight.
- Air fry. When ready to cook, preheat the air fryer to 375F, about 5 minutes. Place the thighs (skin side up) in a single layer in the air fryer basket and cook for 25-28 minutes until the skin turns crispy and golden brown to your desired level of crispiness. The internal temperature for the chicken should reach 165F as read on a meat thermometer.
- Serve. Serve immediately with your favorite side dish or veggies like Mashed Potatoes, Air Fryer Garlic Green Beans, or Air Fryer Broccoli.
Other Ways to Cook Chicken Thighs
- How to bake in the oven: Preheat the oven to 400F. Arrange the marinated chicken thighs on a quarter sheet baking pan and bake for 35 minutes until the skin is crispy and the internal temperature for the chicken reaches 165 F as read on a meat thermometer. Turn over once halfway through baking. Optionally, turn the broiler on high and cook for another 2-3 minutes until nicely charred.
- How to grill: Preheat the grill to 350 F over medium heat. Place the chicken thighs on the grill and cook over medium heat for 6-8 minutes on each side until nicely charred and the internal temperature for the chicken reaches 165 F as read on a meat thermometer. Flip occasionally to avoid overcooking.
Recipe Tips and Tricks
- Don’t overcrowd your air fryer: If your air fryer is on the smaller side, you'll need to cook your chicken thighs in batches. Overcrowding your air fryer will make it impossible for the skin on your chicken thighs to get crispy and delicious. Trust me, it’s worth the wait.
- How to store: Make sure to let the air fryer chicken thighs cool to room temperature before storing. This helps keep the crispy skin crispy. Place them in an airtight container or wrap them in aluminum foil. They will last in the refrigerator for three to four days.
- How to reheat: Reheat leftover chicken thighs in the air fryer at 350F for 5-10 minutes until warmed through.
More Chicken Thigh Recipes
- 60 Best Chicken Recipes
- Skillet Chicken Thighs and Baby Potatoes
- Apple Dijon Braised Chicken Thighs
- One Pot Spanish Chicken and Rice
- Sheet Pan Soy Glazed Chicken Thighs
- Chicken Thighs with Green Beans and Potatoes
Did you make this recipe? I would greatly appreciate a comment and rating below, letting me know what you thought of the recipe. You can also snap a picture and tag me on Instagram @aheadofthyme or share it on the Pinterest pin so that I can follow along.