I’m going to let you in on a little secret. This 15-minute caprese frittata is the breakfast you’ve been waiting for! After a quick 3 minutes on the stove, this finishes up in 2-3 minutes flat under a broiler. Which means this can also sub in as a killer dinner for busy weeknights when you get home late from work. I could eat eggs any time of day, so if you are like me, this is the perfect dish for you!
I don’t know about you, but I am seriously longing for summer, so thank goodness it is right around the corner! And in comes this caprese frittata to save the day! It’s everything you love most about warm weather eating — tomatoes, basil, fresh mozzarella —but wrapped between fluffy, light eggs. Yes!
My personal favourite part of this dish are the gorgeous, cooked tomatoes on top of the frittata! They are cooked quickly and at a high heat so that they pop just a little bit. Finish them off with a drizzle of sweet, tangy balsamic vinegar and I swear you’ll think it’s summer already! Grab a fork (or 4) because breakfast is served, and you’re going to love it!
This 15-minute caprese frittata is the recipe you’ve been waiting for — tomatoes, basil, fresh mozzarella wrapped between fluffy, light eggs. A go-to breakfast for entertaining or an easy dinner for busy weeknights.
- 8 eggs, room temperature
- 1/4 cup milk (or heavy cream)
- 1/4 cup basil, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon and 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil (or vegetable oil)
- 1/4 lb. mozzarella cheese, sliced into 1/8-inch thick rounds
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pint cherry or grape tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Combine eggs, milk, basil, 1 tablespoon salt and pepper in a large bowl. Whisk to combine.
- Place an oven rack about 2-3 inches from the top and set broiler to high.
- Heat oil in a large cast-iron (or oven-safe) skillet over medium-high heat. When hot, add eggs and cook for 2 minutes, using a spatula to pull back and loosen the eggs slightly from the sides, allowing more raw egg to coat the pan. Remove from heat and let it rest for one minute.
- Place sliced mozzarella rounds on top of the eggs and place skillet in the oven. Broil on high for 2-3 minutes, or until eggs are just set.
- While frittata is cooling, heat olive oil in a small pan over high heat. Add tomatoes and cook, gently swirling the pan often, for 5-7 minutes, until tomatoes are browned and beginning to burst. Season with 1 teaspoon salt and balsamic vinegar.
- Spoon tomatoes on top of frittata. Serve immediately or at room temperature.