This Green Detox Smoothie is quick and easy to make, delicious and nutritious, and is loaded with antioxidants, nutrients, and vitamins. It provides a quick energy boost making it the perfect after workout snack or breakfast on the go.
Make this vibrant detox smoothie with a handful of simple and fresh ingredients in just 5 minutes. It will give you everything you need in the morning and it will help you get back on track and detoxify your body. Follow the recipe as is for the most powerful antioxidant and anti-inflammatory effects, or feel free to customize it with other fruits and veggies you have on hand.
Why You'll Love this Green Detox Smoothie
- Loaded with fresh ingredients. This healthy green detox smoothie is loaded with fresh fruits and vegetables including spinach, parsley, banana, apple, grapefruit, and ginger.
- Quick and easy to make. This green smoothie is one of the easiest drinks to make for breakfast on the go or a quick after workout snack. This 5 minute recipe makes hectic mornings a lot easier to handle.
- A true detox drink. The base of this vegan smoothie is made with spinach and parsley which both have powerful anti-inflammatory and antioxidant abilities. And combined with the fact that these greens are very low in calories, you’re left with one of the most nutrient-dense foods ever. Spinach also soaks up environmental toxins from our bodies, neutralize heavy metals, chemicals, and pesticides, and protect our livers.
- It's healthy and nutritious. Smoothies are a quick and easy way to get your daily dose of fruits and vegetables. I think that this detox smoothie is the most delicious way to get in your a dose of your daily vitamins and minerals. Plus, it's filling and provides you with the energy you need to get through the morning.
To make this healthy Green Detox Smoothie, you will need the following ingredients (full quantities in recipe card below):
- spinach - the base of this smoothie is spinach, which obviously is also responsible for it’s bright and vivid colour. Spinach is the perfect base ingredient because it has a milder flavour than other green, leafy vegetables such as chard or kale, and it is rich in nutrients, vitamins, and minerals. It’s a great source of vitamin c, vitamin a, manganese, zinc, and selenium, just to name a few. Spinach also contains anti-aging properties and decreases the risk of heart diseases, diabetes, neurodegenerative diseases, and obesity.
- parsley - this is a secret and unexpected ingredient. Parsley is also rich in antioxidants and vitamins and it is kind of known for it’s amazing anti-inflammatory properties and positive effect on our liver and kidneys. In fact, for many centuries, parsley has been used to help treat kidney stones and urinary tract infections.
- banana - helps to thicken the smoothie, add natural sweetness, and add more vitamins and minerals.
- apple - helps to thicken the smoothie, add natural sweetness, and add more vitamins and minerals.
- grapefruit - grapefruit packed with nutrients, vitamins and minerals with disease fighting properties. Having grapefruit helps our liver and provides an extra immunity boost. If you don't have any on hand, feel free to substitute with a citrus fruit of your choice such as orange or pomelo.
- coconut water - for a hint of coconut flavor, or substitute with water if you don't have any on hand. You can also substitute with milk for a creamier option.
- fresh ginger
- lemon juice - freshly-squeezed lemon juice is packed health-promoting antioxidants to prevent stress and protect against chronic diseases. You can also substitute with freshly squeezed lime juice.
- chia seeds - feel free to substitute with flax seeds or hemp seeds.
- maple syrup or honey - this is optional if you want to add a little sweetness to the smoothie.
You will also need measuring cups and spoons and a blender.
How to Make the Best Green Detox Smoothie
First, combine all ingredients into a blender. Blend until perfectly smooth, about 1 minute.
Then, pour into two large glasses (or jars) and serve immediately.
Recipe Tips and Tricks
- Customize it. You can customize this smoothie by adding in nuts or nut butters, changing up the fruit, adding in some shredded coconut, or sweetening it with maple syrup or honey, if desired.
- Use a good blender. The key to a smooth smoothie is a good heavy duty blender. If your blender is not strong enough, you will still end up with a delicious smoothie, but it could have chunks in it.
- Add protein powder. You can add in some protein powder to turn it into a great source of protein as well.
- Use frozen fruit. Feel free to use frozen fruit instead of fresh ones for a more icy texture and cooler consistency.
Storing and Freezing Instructions
How to Store
This green detox smoothie is best served immediately. If you happen to have any leftovers, store the smoothie an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 day. Give it a quick stir before drinking.
How to Freeze
To freeze, transfer the leftover smoothie to an airtight container and freeze for up to 3 months. When ready to drink, take it out of the freezer and allow it to defrost slightly on the counter for about 10-15 minutes.
More Smoothie Recipes
- Green Smoothie Bowl
- Healthy Mango Yogurt Smoothie
- Strawberry Banana Smoothie
- Majoon (Banana and Date) Smoothie
- Healthy Apple Pie Fall Smoothie
- Mango Pineapple Tropical Smoothie Bowl
Did you make this recipe? I would greatly appreciate a comment and rating below, letting me know what you thought of the recipe. You can also snap a picture and tag me on Instagram @aheadofthyme or share it on the Pinterest pin so that I can follow along.
Don't forget to sign up for my email newsletter so that you don't miss any recipes. You can also follow along on Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook for more recipe updates.
Green Detox Smoothie
- Total Time: 5 minutes
- Yield: 1-2 servings
- Diet: Vegan
Take 5 minutes out of your day to make this delicious, vibrant and energizing green detox smoothie, packed with nutrients and antioxidants that gets your morning started right.
- 2 cups baby spinach
- ¼ cup parsley, coarsely chopped
- 1 banana
- 1 apple
- 1 grapefruit, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup coconut water (or water)
- 1-inch knob fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice, freshly squeezed (from ½ lemon)
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup or honey (if desired)
- Combine all ingredients into a blender. Blend until perfectly smooth, about 1 minute.
- Pour into two large glasses (or jars) and serve immediately.
How to store: This green detox smoothie is best served immediately. If you happen to have any leftovers, store the smoothie an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 day. Give it a quick stir before drinking.
How to freeze: Transfer the leftover smoothie to an airtight container and freeze for up to 3 months. When ready to drink, take it out of the freezer and allow it to defrost slightly on the counter for about 10-15 minutes.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Category: Smoothie
- Method: Blender
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: green detox smoothie, detox smoothie, green smoothie
Interesting recipe. I want to try!
Sam | Ahead of Thyme says
Great! Let me know how you like it 😀
Betty Davies says
This is exactly what I needed! It tastes really fresh and it's a great way to get goodness in! Thanks for sharing, will be reaching for this agin soon!
Sam | Ahead of Thyme says
You are so welcome! Glad I had just what you needed 🙂
My kind of smoothie. One of the best way to start your day. Love it!
Sam | Ahead of Thyme says
Totally agree! The best way to start the day!