This 15-minute caprese frittata is the recipe you’ve been waiting for — tomatoes, basil, fresh mozzarella wrapped between fluffy, light eggs. A go-to breakfast for entertaining or an easy dinner for busy weeknights.
- 8 eggs, room temperature
- 1/4 cup milk (or heavy cream)
- 1/4 cup basil, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil (or vegetable oil)
- 1/4 lb. mozzarella cheese, sliced into 1/8-inch thick rounds
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pint cherry or grape tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Combine eggs, milk, basil, 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper in a large bowl. Whisk to combine.
- Place an oven rack about 2-3 inches from the top and set broiler to high.
- Heat oil in a large cast-iron (or oven-safe) skillet over medium-high heat. When hot, add eggs and cook for 2 minutes, using a spatula to pull back and loosen the eggs slightly from the sides, allowing more raw egg to coat the pan. Remove from heat and let it rest for one minute.
- Place sliced mozzarella rounds on top of the eggs and place skillet in the oven. Broil on high for 2-3 minutes, or until eggs are just set.
- While frittata is cooling, heat olive oil in a small pan over high heat. Add tomatoes and cook, gently swirling the pan often, for 5-7 minutes, until tomatoes are browned and beginning to burst. Season with remaining salt and balsamic vinegar.
- Spoon tomatoes on top of frittata. Serve immediately or at room temperature.