When I think of classic New York cheesecake, I think of romantic date night in. I don't know why. It's just something about that graham cracker crust, that rich cheesecake filling, and that sweet strawberry sauce topping (if you choose to add it... yes, you should always choose!).
How to Make New York Style Cheesecake
Whether you are a novice baker or super experienced, it doesn't matter because anyone can make this cheesecake without any cracks using this easy to follow recipe. In summary, what you need to do is this:
- make the crust - mix graham cracker cookie crumbs with sugar and butter to get that perfect cheesecake crust.
- make the filling - mix together the filling ingredients until just blended.
- assemble and bake - pour the cheesecake filling into the prepared crust and bake in a boiling water bath to ensure even cooking.
- cool down - let the cheesecake set and solidify.
- serve - serve the cheesecake on it's own or top with homemade strawberry sauce or salted caramel sauce.
Strawberry Sauce Topping
There is nothing wrong with serving cheesecake on its own, but if you are like me, then you need that little something extra. For me, it's homemade strawberry sauce. I mean, look at that sauce dripping down the sides of the cake... it causes instant drool...
It is also super easy to make. You just need to throw in some strawberries, orange juice, and a little sugar into a small saucepan. Let it simmer for 5-10 minutes, puree, strain and add in some fresh strawberries. SO easy! For the full recipe, click here.
How to Store Cheesecake
Thankfully, you don't have to finish this whole cake within a couple days (although it's totally cool if you do, I've been there more than a few times...). Cheesecake can be stored in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to a week.
You can also store in the freezer for up to three months, tightly double-wrapped with aluminum foil or plastic wrap and placed in an airtight container. When you are ready to serve and eat the cake, just take it out of the freezer and let it thaw overnight in the refrigerator.
Any level baker can make a beautiful, decadent, thick and fluffy, classic New York cheesecake without any cracks using this easy to follow recipe.
- 2 cups Graham-style crumbs
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 24 oz. (or three 8 oz. blocks) cream cheese, at room temperature
- ½ cup plain Greek yogurt, at room temperature
- 4 large eggs
- ½ cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- homemade strawberry sauce, for serving
- Make the cheesecake crust: Preheat oven to 350 F. In a medium bowl, stir crumbs and sugar together. Gradually pour in melted butter, continuing to stir until well mixed. Press crumbs firmly into a 8” x 8” springform pan. Bake crust for 10 minutes. Allow crust to cool for approximately one hour before filling.
- Make the cheesecake filling: In a large bowl, use a mixer to mix cream cheese, yogurt, sugar and vanilla extract together until well blended. Add eggs, one at a time, and beat until just blended. Repeat until all eggs are added and blended (Do not overmix to avoid cracking during baking).
- Assemble and bake: Preheat oven to 350 F. Pour filling into the cooled crust and smooth out the surface. Wrap the outside of the springform pan tightly with foil and place the pan in a large baking dish. Fill the dish with 1 inch (2 cm) deep of boiling water. Move the baking dish to the oven and bake for 1 hour in the boiling water bath (This helps prevent sudden temperature drop and cracking).
- After an hour, turn off the heat and leave the cheesecake in the oven for an hour, allowing it to continue baking slowly.
- Take the pan out of the oven and run a paring knife gently around the outside of the cheesecake to loosen it from the sides of the pan. Cover the pan with plastic wrap and transfer to the refrigerator overnight (or for at least 8 hours) to cool down and solidify.
- To serve, remove the sides of the springform pan and transfer the cheesecake to a serving dish. Cut into slices and serve with homemade strawberry sauce on top.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 2 hours + 8 hours overnight cooling time
- Category: Dessert