When I think of classic New York cheesecake, I think of romantic date night in. I don't know why. It's just something about that graham cracker crust, that rich cheesecake filling, and that sweet strawberry sauce topping (if you choose to add it... yes, you should always choose!).
How to Make New York Style Cheesecake
Whether you are a novice baker or super experienced, it doesn't matter because anyone can make this cheesecake without any cracks using this easy to follow recipe. In summary, what you need to do is this:
- make the crust - mix graham cracker cookie crumbs with sugar and butter to get that perfect cheesecake crust.
- make the filling - mix together the filling ingredients until just blended.
- assemble and bake - pour the cheesecake filling into the prepared crust and bake in a boiling water bath to ensure even cooking.
- cool down - let the cheesecake set and solidify.
- serve - serve the cheesecake on it's own or top with homemade strawberry sauce or salted caramel sauce.
Strawberry Sauce Topping
There is nothing wrong with serving cheesecake on its own, but if you are like me, then you need that little something extra. For me, it's homemade strawberry sauce. I mean, look at that sauce dripping down the sides of the cake... it causes instant drool...
It is also super easy to make. You just need to throw in some strawberries, orange juice, and a little sugar into a small saucepan. Let it simmer for 5-10 minutes, puree, strain and add in some fresh strawberries. SO easy! For the full recipe, click here.
How to Store Cheesecake
Thankfully, you don't have to finish this whole cake within a couple days (although it's totally cool if you do, I've been there more than a few times...). Cheesecake can be stored in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to a week.
You can also store in the freezer for up to three months, tightly double-wrapped with aluminum foil or plastic wrap and placed in an airtight container. When you are ready to serve and eat the cake, just take it out of the freezer and let it thaw overnight in the refrigerator.