With the abundance of cool summer vegetables and fruits now available at farmers' market, now is the time to make salads all day, every day! So, how about brightening up your lunchbox, kitchen table or BBQ with this fresh and colourful summer citrus salad that will make boring sandwiches a thing of the past!
This tasty, go-to salad includes the healthiest ingredients plus all the best summer fixings like oranges, spinach and yummy mozzarella! It is basically a cross of three of my favourite summer salad recipes: summer fruit salad with honey lemon dressing, mixed greens salad, and radicchio and mandarin orange salad.
This summer citrus salad is packed with local farmer's market finds such as baby spinach leaves, sweet tomatoes, and juicy oranges, and its sweetened with honey. Plus, lemon in the dressing adds a hint of sourness. It is basically an amazing and refreshing combination of flavours... zingy grapefruit, sweet orange, soft mozzarella and crunchy almonds – all in one bowl!
This super simple fruit salad is packed with nutrients, making it ideal for lunch or dinner, or even breakfast! We all know that it's really important to get as much good stuff from our food as possible. And here you have it all: vitamin c, vitamin a, vitamin b1, manganese, zinc, selenium, phytonutrients, fiber, potassium, copper, pantothenic acid, and calcium. Basically, a lot of good stuff!!
Let's talk about some of the ingredients in this salad.
- citrus fruits (oranges, grapefruits and lemon) --> these fruits are high in vitamin C, which helps support the immune system, prevents colds and recurrent infections, promotes cardiovascular health, and is associated with a reduced risk of heart disease, stroke and cancer.
- almonds --> support brain function, maintains skin health, helps with weight loss, controls blood sugar levels, and prevent diabetes and overeating.
Pretty amazing stuff, right?
So roll up your sleeves and make yourself a summer citrus salad :). And don't worry, it will take less than 10 minutes to prepare. Enjoy!
This summer citrus salad is packed with a refreshing combination of flavours... zingy grapefruit, sweet orange, soft mozzarella and crunchy almonds – all in one bowl!
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 5 oz. grape tomatoes
- 1 orange, peeled and cut into small pieces
- 1/2 grapefruit, peeled and cut into small pieces
- 5 oz. mini mozzarella balls
- 2 tablespoons honey
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 3/4 cup raw almonds
- 1/2 lime, thinly sliced (optional, for garnish)
- In a large bowl combine spinach, tomatoes, orange, grapefruit and mini mozarella balls.
- Add honey and lemon juice and toss to combine.
- Transfer to 2 serving bowls, top with almonds, and serve.
- Decorate with lime slices (optional).
- Category: Salad