Soft and super moist, small batch chocolate chip pumpkin bread is the perfect fall treat. It is packed with pumpkin, chocolate chips, and the classic fall flavours of warm pumpkin spice (cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice and ginger). The best part? This fall favourite is ridiculously easy to make with just 10 minutes of prep.
If you browse through the vast number of pumpkin bread recipes online, you will notice that they tend to use up a whole can of pumpkin puree, hence why they typically yield 2 large loaves. This small batch uses just a portion of puree to yield a small loaf to feed a smaller crowd. Plus, that means you can make some more treats with the extra puree that you have on hand.
How to Use Leftover Pumpkin Puree
If you are using canned pumpkin puree for this recipe, then you will certainly have extra puree on your hands. So, what can you make with those extras? You have so many options. For starters, you could make another pumpkin loaf, OR you can make some of the following:
- Pumpkin Pie Granola
- Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls
- Small Batch Mini Pumpkin Pies
- Mini Glazed Pumpkin Scones
- Pumpkin Focaccia Bread
- Pumpkin Dinner Rolls
Ingredients in Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Bread
- pumpkin puree - make sure you are using pumpkin puree, and not pumpkin pie filling as this contains extra ingredients.
- all-purpose flour
- baking soda + baking powder
- brown sugar
- pumpkin spice blend - you can make your own using cinnamon, nutmeg, all spice, cloves and ground ginger.
- condensed milk
- olive oil - you can also use melted butter.
- chocolate chips
How to Make the Best Small Batch Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Bread
Prep the loaf pan. Lightly grease a small 1 lb. loaf pan (8x4-inch) with butter and cut out a piece of parchment paper (8x8-inch) to line the bottom of the pan and create a little handle on the sides. This helps remove the baked pumpkin bread from the loaf pan.
Combine dry ingredients. In a large mixing bowl, add flour, baking soda, baking powder, brown sugar and pumpkin spice and whisk to combine. Set aside.
Combine wet ingredients. In another mixing bowl, add pumpkin puree, condensed milk, olive oil (or melted butter), and eggs. Whisk together until even and smooth, about one minute .
Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix well with a silicone spatula to combine. Mix until all the flour is wet, and there are no dry flour particles visible. Make sure to scrape off any dry pieces from the side of the bowl. Fold in the chocolate chips.
Bake. Transfer the mixture into the parchment-lined loaf pan and bake for 50 minutes in a 350 F preheated pan until the top of the pumpkin bread turns golden brown, and a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean.
Cool down. Remove from the oven and let cool in the loaf pan at room temperature for at least 30 minutes. Note that the loaf will continue to bake slightly after being removed from the oven due to the residual heat in the loaf. Gently remove the pumpkin bread from the loaf pan.
How to Store Pumpkin Bread
- How to store: Store pumpkin in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days, or in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
- How to freeze: Let the pumpkin bread cool completely, then wrap it tightly in plastic wrap and place in a freezer bag or air tight container. Freeze for up to 3 months. To thaw, place in the refrigerator or on the kitchen counter.
More Pumpkin Recipes
- Classic Thanksgiving Pumpkin Pie
- Pumpkin Pie Bundt Cake with Cream Cheese Glaze
- Carrot Pumpkin Soup
- Coconut Curry Pumpkin Soup
- Creamy Pumpkin and Corn Chowder
Did you make this recipe? I would greatly appreciate a comment and rating below, letting me know what you thought of the recipe. You can also snap a picture and tag me on Instagram @aheadofthyme or share it on the Pinterest pin so that I can follow along.