This post was sponsored by USA Rice Canada. The recipe and opinions are my own.
When you are looking for a filling, gluten-free, dish that is quick and easy to put together, and doesn’t break the bank, you are looking for Mediterranean brown rice salad! It is full of nutritional goodness and health benefits.
I am obsessed with this Mediterranean brown rice salad. It combines the flavours of a classic Greek salad with spinach and rice. Why add rice to your salad? Well it may be surprising (but it really shouldn’t be), that rice:
- has a LOT of nutritional value –> Rice is a source of B-vitamins, phosphorus and zinc, but brown rice also contains magnesium, selenium, manganese and fibre. In fact, one cup of brown rice has almost 4 grams of fibre while 3.5 cups of raw spinach has only 2.2 grams. Well this salad has both, so we are seriously doubling up on some major fibre!
- is gluten-free.
- is low in calories (it only has 108 calories per half cup serving!).
Storing and Reheating Rice
I like to double up on the rice, use half in this Mediterranean brown rice salad and store the rest in the refrigerator to use in meals during the week to feed my hungry family! I just love how versatile rice is. Think more salads, soups, puddings and stir fries! You can store the cooked rice in an air-tight container for up to one week in the refrigerator. OR you can store if even longer in the freezer. Yes, rice freezes beautifully! Say hello to homemade, always ready, “minute rice.”
Looking for a filling, gluten-free, dish that is quick and easy to put together, and doesn’t break the bank? Then you will love Mediterranean brown rice salad!
- 1 cup brown rice, uncooked and rinsed clean
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups spinach, chopped
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, quartered
- 1 small cucumber, diced
- 1/2 green bell pepper, diced
- 1/4 cup red onions, diced
- 1/4 cup kalamata olives, chopped
- 1/4 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 clove garlic, pressed or minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Add rice, 2 cups of water, oil, and salt to a medium saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat. Turn the heat down to low, cover, and simmer for 40 minutes (or according to package instructions). Remove from heat and allow rice to absorb the steam for another 10 minutes (still covered). Uncover and fluff with a fork. Cool rice down to room temperature or place in the refrigerator for 20 minutes to cool down.
- In a large bowl, combine the cooled rice, spinach, tomatoes, cucumber, bell pepper, red onions, olives and feta cheese. Toss to combine.
- In a small bowl, combine the dressing ingredients. Pour the dressing over the salad and toss to coat.
- Serve cold or at room temperature.
- I used long-grain brown rice, but you can use either long-grain or short-grain. You can also use white rice but may have to adjust the cooking time slightly.