Looking for a filling, gluten-free, dish that is quick and easy to put together, and doesn’t break the bank? Then you will love Mediterranean brown rice salad!
- 1 cup brown rice, uncooked and rinsed clean
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups spinach, chopped
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, quartered
- 1 small cucumber, diced
- 1/2 green bell pepper, diced
- 1/4 cup red onions, diced
- 1/4 cup kalamata olives, chopped
- 1/4 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 clove garlic, pressed or minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Add rice, 2 cups of water, oil, and salt to a medium saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat. Turn the heat down to low, cover, and simmer for 40 minutes (or according to package instructions). Remove from heat and allow rice to absorb the steam for another 10 minutes (still covered). Uncover and fluff with a fork. Cool rice down to room temperature or place in the refrigerator for 20 minutes to cool down.
- In a large bowl, combine the cooled rice, spinach, tomatoes, cucumber, bell pepper, red onions, olives and feta cheese. Toss to combine.
- In a small bowl, combine the dressing ingredients. Pour the dressing over the salad and toss to coat.
- Serve cold or at room temperature.
- I used long-grain brown rice, but you can use either long-grain or short-grain. You can also use white rice but may have to adjust the cooking time slightly.