Honey mustard dressing is a sweet and tangy sauce that is perfect for adding flavor to salads, sandwiches, meats, and more. With just a few simple ingredients, it is easy to make and adds a ton of flavor to any meal. Plus, it's ready in just minutes.
Making salad dressing from scratch is so much better, tastier, and healthier than store-bought. You might never go back to bottled dressing after realizing just how easy it is to make at home. Homemade honey mustard dressing also means you can customize the ingredients to your liking.
Why You'll Love this Honey Mustard Dressing
- Quick and easy to make from scratch. If you have never made salad dressing at home before, you may not know how easy it is to make. Simply mix the ingredients together until well combined. That is it. There is no reason to buy store-bought dressing when it's this easy to make it at home.
- Healthier than store-bought. Honey mustard dressing is a healthier alternative to many other types of dressing and sauces, which typically contain preservatives, fillers, additives, sugar, or artificial flavors. This homemade dressing is made with real ingredients.
- It contains health benefits. Honey mustard dressing is a healthy and nutritious condiment that is low in calories and free of artificial ingredients. Mustard is a good source of antioxidants and has anti-inflammatory properties, while honey is a natural sweetener that is lower on the glycemic index than refined sugars.
- Use it in so many dishes. Add honey mustard salad dressing to salads, as a sandwich spread, as a dip, or even a marinade for meats. However you use it, this dressing adds delicious flavor to any dish.
To make this easy Honey Mustard Salad Dressing, you will need the following ingredients (full measurements in recipe card below):
- honey - adds sweetness and balances out the tang of the mustard. Look for a high-quality, pure honey for the best flavor.
- Dijon mustard - adds tang and flavor. You can substitute with other types of mustard such as yellow mustard or brown mustard.
- olive oil - helps to emulsify the dressing and adds richness and flavor.
- apple cider vinegar - adds acidity and balance to the dressing. You can use different types of vinegar in place of the apple cider vinegar in the recipe, including white vinegar, red wine vinegar, or balsamic vinegar.
- lemon juice - also helps to balance out the sweetness of the honey.
- salt and pepper
How to Make the Best Honey Mustard Dressing
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine all the ingredients. Use a whisk to mix together and stir well to combine.
- Store in airtight jar (like a mason jar) in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
One of the great things about making honey mustard dressing from scratch is that you can easily customize it and make your own.
- Add herbs: Fresh herbs, such as parsley, dill, or basil, can add a bright and refreshing flavor to the dressing. Simply chop the herbs and stir them into the dressing.
- Mix in spices: You can add spices to the dressing to give it extra flavor and depth. Some good options include paprika, cumin, or chili powder.
- Add creaminess: Add some yogurt, sour cream, or mayonnaise to add creaminess and extra flavor to the dressing.
- Add extra sweetness: If you want a sweeter dressing, you can add a little extra honey or try mixing in some maple syrup or agave nectar.
How to Serve
Honey mustard dressing pairs can be used to add flavor to a variety of different dishes. Use this dressing as:
- Salad dressing. Drizzle honey mustard dressing over a salad of mixed greens, cherry tomatoes, and croutons for a delicious and satisfying meal. You can use it to dress any of your favorite salads. We used it in this Christmas Salad, but it works well in Tomato Cucumber Avocado Salad, Garden Salad, Fruit Salad, or grain bowls.
- Sandwich spread. Use honey mustard dressing as a spread for sandwiches. It pairs well with a variety of fillings including as turkey, ham, cheese, and avocado. You can also use it as a condiment in burgers and hot dogs.
- Dipping sauce. Use this honey mustard dressing as a dip for raw vegetables, such as carrots, celery, bell peppers, cauliflower, and cucumbers in a Veggie Tray. You can also use it as a dip for fried foods such Chicken Tenders, French Fries, or Baked Chicken Wings.
- Marinade for meats. You can also use honey mustard dressing as a marinade for grilled chicken or pork. Simply coat the meat with the dressing and let it marinate in the refrigerator for a few hours before grilling.
Recipe Tips and Tricks
- Use high-quality ingredients. Using quality ingredients, such as pure honey and good-quality vinegar, will give the dressing the best flavor and taste.
- Adjust the ratio of ingredients to your liking. The ratio of mustard to honey to vinegar in this recipe can be adjusted to your liking. You can use more or less of any ingredient to suit your taste.
- Whisk the ingredients together. Whisking the ingredients together until they are well combined will help to emulsify the dressing and give it a smooth and creamy texture.
Since homemade dressings lack preservatives, they are better for you but don't last as long as store-bought. Store homemade honey mustard dressing an airtight container or mason jar in the refrigerator for up one week.
It is not recommended to freeze this honey mustard dressing as the texture may be not be the same when thawing.
More Salad Dressing Recipes
- Southwest Salad Dressing
- Caesar Salad Dressing
- Creamy Cilantro Lime Dressing
- Greek Salad Dressing
- Creamy Sesame Dressing
- Homemade Italian Dressing
Did you make this recipe? I would greatly appreciate a comment and rating below, letting me know what you thought of the recipe. You can also snap a picture and tag me on Instagram @aheadofthyme or share it on the Pinterest pin so that I can follow along.
- ¼ cup honey
- ¼ cup Dijon mustard
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- ½ teaspoon salt (or more to taste)
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Category: Dressing
- Method: Stir
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: honey mustard dressing, honey mustard salad dressing