Healthy banana bread is so delicious and moist. This easy recipe takes just 10 minutes to prep with a few simply pantry staples and contains no refined sugar or butter. They are a crowd favourite and freezer-friendly, so double up the recipe and freeze any extra for later.
I'm all about make the best loaves over here, whether that's healthy banana bread, lemon loaf with lemon glaze, cranberry sauce swirl pound cake or double chocolate loaf cake. I just can't get enough. They are so easy to make and are the perfect tea time treat.
What Makes this Banana Bread Healthy?
There are really 2 key things that make this banana bread healthier than others.
- It is refined sugar-free and sweetened naturally with honey.
- It contains no butter and uses coconut oil instead.
To make healthy banana bread, you need to gather the following ingredients:
- all-purpose flour
- baking soda + baking powder
- ground cinnamon
- ripe banana - I used about 3 medium ripe bananas to get 2 cups of mashed banana.
- coconut oil - you can also substitute this with olive oil.
- honey - you can also substitute this with maple syrup.
- sour cream or Greek yogurt
How to Make the Best Healthy Banana Bread
- Prep. Preheat oven to 350 F. Lightly grease a 9x5 loaf pan (1 lb. loaf pan) with cooking oil spray or butter.
- Combine dry ingredients. In a large bowl, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Whisk together and set aside.
- Combine wet ingredients. In a medium bowl, mash the bananas using a fork or potato masher. Add coconut oil, honey, sour cream and eggs, and beat together using a hand mixer on medium-high speed until fully blended and smooth, about 2 minutes.
- Add wet ingredients into dry ingredients. Pour the wet ingredients into dry ingredients and mix together with a rubber spatula until just combined and no dry ingredients is visible.
- Bake. Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan and bake for 55 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Cool and serve. Let the cake cool in the pan for 10-15 minutes, then invert to remove the loaf. Serve warm or at room temperature. Once cooled, cover the banana bread with plastic cling wrap to retain moisture.
Tips for Making Banana Bread
- How to customize: This is a basic healthy banana bread recipe that can be customized as you please. You can fold in some chopped nuts, chocolate chips, or dried fruit into the batter at the last step.
- How to ripen bananas: The bananas have to be ripe in order to make this recipe. If they are not yet ripe, place them in a 300F preheated oven for 20 minutes until dark brown. Allow them to cool down to room temperature before using.
- How to store: Freshly baked banana can be stored at room temperature, covered well with plastic cling wrap, for up to 2 days. You can also store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to one week.
- How to freeze: Once baked and cooled, wrap the banana bread tightly with plastic cling wrap and place inside a freezer bag or air tight container, and freeze for up to 3 months. You can freeze the entire loaf or slice up and freeze individual slices. To eat, first let them thaw first at room temperature or overnight in the refrigerator. You can eat as is, or warmed it up in the microwave, oven or air fryer.
More Banana Recipes
- Banana Nut Bread
- Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Cookies
- Banana Toast with Granola and Honey
- Majoon Banana and Date Smoothie
- 5-Minute Super Berry Smoothie Bowl
Did you make this recipe? I would greatly appreciate a comment and rating below, letting me know what you thought of the recipe. You can also snap a picture and tag me on Instagram @aheadofthyme or share it on the Pinterest pin so that I can follow along.