Sometimes we just get sick of the same old classic recipes. So why not make things a little interesting and combine different flavours together to create something completely different, yet still based on a classic? I am talking about a classic chicken Caesar salad. Except today, we are making a not-so-classic Mexican chicken Caesar salad.
Caesar salad is one of the simplest salads to make with one of the most distinct dressings. But sometimes in life, you need a little fiesta! So, we decided to take it one step further by adding some of the most traditional ingredients we have come to love in Mexican food. We added black beans, corn and avocado to our lettuce-based salad and added quintessential Mexican flavours of lime and cilantro to good old Caesar dressing.
Even our chicken is saying hola! We couldn’t forget cumin so we seasoned our chicken breasts in ground cumin and grilled them to perfection... even adding some heat to the salad with a pinch of chili flakes (entirely optional). And why use croutons when we have tortilla chips? This added the much-needed CRUNCH. A salad so tasty and refreshing, you won’t even miss the Parmesan.
Move over Caesar, there is a new salad in town! O’le!
Mexican chicken Caesar salad is a classic recipe with a twist! Combine your favourite Mexican ingredients to create a salad so tasty and refreshing!
- 2 chicken breasts, skinless and boneless
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- salt and pepper
- 2 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup Caesar dressing
- juice of 1 lime
- 2 teaspoons cilantro, finely chopped
- pinch of cumin
- 2 heads romaine lettuce, washed and leaves separated
- 1 cup corn, cooked and drained
- 1 cup black beans, cooked and drained
- 1 avocado, peeled and cubed
- 1/4 teaspoon dried chilli flakes (optional)
- 2 handfuls tortilla chips, loosely crumbled
- lime wedges, to serve
- Chicken: Season both sides of the chicken breasts with ground cumin, salt and pepper. Heat olive oil in a pan and shallow-fry the chicken breasts until brown and caramelised on both sides. Check that the chicken breasts are sufficiently cooked through (about 8-12 minutes), then remove from the heat and set aside. Slice each breast into small pieces.
- Dressing: Combine Caesar dressing with lime juice. Stir in finely chopped coriander and a pinch of cumin. Set aside.
- Salad: In a large bowl, combine chicken and remaining ingredients. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve with lime wedges.
- Category: Salad