Fresh strawberry pie is a delicious, summer dessert that is loaded to the brim with juicy, ripe strawberries tossed in a homemade strawberry glaze, all packed into a flakey and buttery pie crust. This mouthwateringly delicious is super easy to throw together, and goes so well served with a dollop of whipped cream on top. This pie is so good, you have to try it.
Why You'll Love Fresh Strawberry Pie
- Fresh summer produce = the best pies. Summer is the best season because it means the farms are packed with fresh summer produce like strawberries, blueberries, peaches, and cherries. And the best way to put those delicious fruit to use is in a summer fruit pie. Some other delicious summertime pies to try this year are Lattice Top Blueberry Pie, Cherry Pie, and Peach Cobbler.
- Quick and easy. This recipe is really easy to make. It involves pre-baking the pie crust, then making a delicious fresh strawberry filling and pouring it in. Chill in the refrigerator until set, and then serve. Don't forget the whipping cream for a cool touch.
- Made without jello or gelatin. Many fresh strawberry pies are made with jello or gelatin to help bind the filling together. We bind the filling here together with a strawberry glaze made from scratch using the strawberries themselves and a little cornstarch to thicken it all up.
- pie dough - you can use a store-bought pie dough or a homemade dough. I used my Easy Puff Pastry Pie Dough. You only need a single pie crust, so I halved the recipe. Whichever dough you use, you will need to blind bake it (or pre-bake) until golden, before adding the filling. You can also opt for a no-bake graham cracker crust as well.
- strawberries - use fresh in season, high-quality strawberries for the best and juiciest results. We went to the local market and picked our own huge bucket of strawberries (stay tuned for all the strawberry recipes in the coming weeks). I do not recommend using frozen strawberries for this recipe.
- granulated sugar
- vanilla extract
- lemon juice + zest - adds a little zing and balances out the flavors really nicely.
- cornstarch - helps thicken the filling so that we don't need to use any jello or gelatin in this recipe.
How to Make the Best Fresh Strawberry Pie
- Prepare the pie dough. If using homemade pie dough, roll out the pie dough and place it into a 9-inch pie dish. Gently press down and trim any excess dough from the sides. Use a fork or your fingers to crimp the edges. If using a store-bought pie crust, it should already be pressed into a disposable pie dish.
- Blind bake the crust. Blind bake the pie crust in a 400F preheated oven for 20 minutes until the edges turn golden brown. If you are using store-bought pie dough, blind bake according to the package instructions. (To help the crust stay in place while baking, you can fill with pie weights for the first 10 minutes, and then remove). Once baked, transfer onto a wire rack and cool completely.
- Make the strawberry glaze. While the crust is baking, prepare the strawberry glaze by adding 2 cups strawberries to a medium saucepan. Use a fork to mash the strawberries. Then add sugar, vanilla, lemon juice, lemon zest, and cornstarch. Stir well until well combined and bring to a simmer over medium heat until thickened to a desired consistency, about 5 minutes. (Do not use high heat to cook the glaze and stir constantly to make sure the mixture is cooked evenly). Set side and let cool for 15 minutes.
- Assemble the pie. In a medium mixing bowl, combine the remaining 3 cups strawberry with cooled strawberry glaze and toss well to coat evenly. Carefully transfer the strawberry mixture into the pie crust and refrigerate for 2-3 hours (or longer) until the filling is set completely.
- Serve. Slice and serve with a dollop of whipped cream on top.
How to Store
Fresh strawberry pie is best served fresh the day that you make it, to prevent the crust from being soggy when served. If you have leftovers, you can store this fresh strawberry pie lightly covered in plastic cling wrap for up to 2-3 days in the refrigerator (but expect the pie to get runny and the crust to get a little soggy).
More Strawberry Recipes
- Strawberry Bread
- Strawberry Avocado Salad
- Chocolate Covered Strawberries
- Strawberry Banana Smoothie
- Baked Jelly Donuts with Strawberry Jam
- Sparkling Strawberry Lemonade
Did you make this recipe? I would greatly appreciate a comment and rating below, letting me know what you thought of the recipe. You can also snap a picture and tag me on Instagram @aheadofthyme or share it on the Pinterest pin so that I can follow along.