We are in the thick of peach season which means it's time for one of my favourite things to do: pick up a bag of fresh peaches and whip up some easy peach cobbler. This summery dessert is packed with sweet and juicy fresh peaches and topped with a buttery, golden topping. Serve it with a scoop of vanilla ice cream to enjoy this treat to the fullest. The best part? This delicious, fool-proof recipe takes just 15 minutes of actual prep work. It's the easiest dessert ever.
What is Peach Cobbler?
A peach cobbler is a dessert made up of a layer of sliced peaches placed into a large baking dish, topped with batter or biscuits, and then baked. It falls somewhere in between a pie and a crumble or crisp.
Here is what you will need to make this cobbler:
- yellow peaches - 6 large fresh peaches. You can also use frozen peaches but let them thaw out first at room temperature.
- cornstarch - to help thicken out the peach mixture and get that perfect jammy consistency when baked.
- all-purpose flour
- butter - COLD butter, cut into ½-inch cubes
- milk - buttermilk works fine too.
- vanilla extract
- baking powder
- ground cinnamon - this is optional.
How to Make the Best Peach Cobbler
- Prepare the peach filling: In a large mixing bowl, add the sliced peaches and sugar and stir well with a spatula to combine. Set it aside for 20 minutes. You will notice the juices from the peaches starting to come out. Add cornstarch and mix well to combine and thicken the peach mixture a bit.
- Make the topping: In a medium bowl, combine flour, butter, sugar, milk, vanilla extract, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Use your hands to incorporate the cold cubed butter into the flour mixture. Rub the butter into the flour mixture until the texture turns into course breadcrumbs-like. OR add all the topping ingredients into a food processor and pulse mix on and off for 1 minute until the flour mixture turns into breadcrumb-like consistency.
- Assemble and bake the peach cobbler: Preheat the oven to 375 F. Transfer the peach mixture into a 9x9-inch baking dish and spread them into an even layer. Spread the crumby topping evenly on top of the peaches using a spoon. Bake for 40 minutes until the top turns golden brown and bubbly. Remove from the oven.
- Serve: Serve it warm out of the oven with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, or let it cool down for at least 20 minutes before serving to let the peach mixture thicken up.
FAQ and Tips for Making Peach Cobbler
- Can I use frozen peaches? Fresh peaches are best when they are in season. You can use frozen peaches, but let them thaw first. Once thawed, make your filling and continue with the recipe.
- How long does store peach cobbler last? If you are eating this within the day, then loosely cover the baking dish with aluminum foil and store it at room temperature. To store longer than a day, then cover and store in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
- How do you reheat peach cobbler? Reheat peach cobbler in the microwave or in the oven. To heat in the oven, uncover and place into a 350 F preheated oven for 20 minutes until warmed through.
More Fruity Recipes
- Classic Blueberry Pie with Lattice Top
- Glazed Lemon Blueberry Scones
- 3-Ingredient Peach Sorbet
- Baked Jelly Donuts with Strawberry Jam
- Cranberry Sauce Oat Bars
Did you make this recipe? I would greatly appreciate a comment and rating below, letting me know what you thought of the recipe. You can also snap a picture and tag me on Instagram @aheadofthyme or share it on the Pinterest pin so that I can follow along.