Quick, easy, and simple, vegan tofu and mushroom stir fry is a delicious meal that is ready in under 15 minutes. Versatile tofu soaks up all the earthy flavors of mushrooms and fresh bok choy, coated with salty soy sauce, toasted sesame oil, and fragrant garlic to create a well-rounded meal for busy weeknights when you don't have a lot of time for dinner. Serve it over a bowl of steamed rice with extra sesame seeds on top.
Why You'll Love Tofu and Mushroom Stir Fry
- Stir fry is easy to make. Tofu and mushroom stir fry is a vegan meal that is ready in less than 15 minutes (so you should get your rice cooking before you start!). Plus, everything is cooked in one wok, so there are few dishes to clean up. It's a great option for those busy weeknights when you're low on energy and short on time.
- Packed with plant-based protein. There's a reason people love tofu. It's a great meat substitute and is one of the best sources of plant-based protein. It also contains so many other vitamins and nutrients including iron, zinc, copper, calcium, magnesium, manganese, phosphorous, and vitamin B1.
- Sautéed mushrooms. You might not know this, but mushrooms are a superfood that can combat many health conditions like heart disease, diabetes, and even cancer. They contain fiber, protein, and antioxidants—which are essential in a healthy diet. This a meal you can feel very good about feeding to your family.
Ingredients and Substitutions
To make this easy vegan tofu and mushroom stir fry, you will need the following ingredients:
- olive oil - or any vegetable oil that you have such as coconut oil or grape seed oil.
- mushrooms - most mushrooms will work, my personal favorites are shiitake mushrooms or brown mushrooms.
- extra firm tofu - extra firm tofu is best because it will hold its shape.
- baby bok choy - or substitute with sui choy. Spinach could also work.
- soy sauce
- balsamic vinegar or black rice vinegar
- ground black pepper
- sesame oil - sesame oil has incredible depth of flavor that really elevates this stir fry. But if you don't have any on hand, you can leave this out.
- sesame seeds
How to Make the Best Tofu and Mushroom Stir Fry
- Sauté garlic. In a large wok or skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat for 2 minutes until the hot oil sizzles. Add garlic and sauté until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Stir fry vegetables. Add mushrooms and tofu and stir to cook until nicely browned, about 3-4 minutes. Add bok choy and stir fry for 2 minutes, allowing it to soften.
- Add in sauce. Stir in soy sauce, vinegar and pepper. Mix well until evenly distributed. Drizzle with sesame oil and sprinkle sesame seeds on top.
- Serve. Serve immediately with steamed rice. You could also serve over a plate of fried noodles.
Storing and Reheating Instructions
- How to store: Tofu and mushroom stir fry tastes best fresh, but you can certainly store leftovers for another day. Once cooled, store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4-5 days.
- How to reheat: You can reheat leftovers on the stovetop or in the microwave:
- To reheat on the stove: Reheat in a wok or skillet over medium-low heat until thoroughly warmed, about 5-10 minutes. You can reheat leftover rice at the the same time too if you want everything mixed together.
- To reheat in the microwave: Place in a microwave-safe bowl, cover the entire bowl with a damp paper towel and reheat in 15-second increments until hot. This will steam the leftovers and prevent them from drying out.
More Stir Fry Recipes
- Spring Vegetable Stir Fry
- Beef and Broccoli Stir Fry
- Stir-Fried Rice Cakes with Shrimp
- 10-Minute Shrimp Fried Rice
- Stir Fried Rice Noodle Rolls with Peanut Sauce
- Shanghai Style Fried Noodles
- 10-Minute Chicken Pad Thai
Did you make this recipe? I would greatly appreciate a comment and rating below, letting me know what you thought of the recipe. You can also snap a picture and tag me on Instagram @aheadofthyme or share it on the Pinterest pin so that I can follow along.