Better than takeout, quick and easy one pan stir-fried rice noodle rolls with peanut butter sauce are packed with rice rolls, bean sprouts, Asian seasonings, and topped with green onions, crushed peanuts and sesame seeds. This super flavourful under 10 minute vegan meal makes weeknight dinner planning a breeze. It seriously takes less time to make than the time spent ordering takeout.
What are Rice Noodle Rolls?
Rice noodle rolls (or cheung fun) are little bite sized, slippery and soft, flat rice noodle sheets that are rolled into a cylinder shape. This Chinese ingredient is normally served steamed as a dim sum snack. They are served unseasoned, and rolled with beef, pork, vegetables, or plain, with a side of soy sauce and peanut butter dipping sauce.
We decided to give these noodle rolls a twist and instead stir-frying them with all the delicious Asian seasonings and then tossing them in peanut butter sauce. The outcome? Ridiculously good.
Ingredients in Stir-Fried Rice Noodle Rolls
- rice rolls - I used a store-bought package of rice noodle rolls, but it's also really easy to make your own. I will be sharing a recipe for it soon (hopefully!).
- vegetable oil - for the stir-fry.
- soy sauce
- sesame oil - optional but adds a really nice flavour.
- white pepper
- bean sprouts
- toppings - green onions, roasted peanuts, and white sesame seeds.
- peanut butter sauce - smooth peanut butter, bean paste or hoisin sauce, hot water, and sugar.
How to Make the Best Stir-Fried Rice Noodle Rolls
To make this super quick and easy stir fry, heat oil in a cooking pan over medium heat for 2 minutes until the oil starts to sizzle and shimmer. Then, add rice rolls (that you have cut into 2-inch pieces) and stir fry for 2 minutes until the rice rolls soften and browns. Add a spoonful of cold water at a time and stir fry the noodles if they are still a bit dry and hard.
Next, add the seasonings (soy sauce, sesame oil, white pepper and sugar). Stir well for 1 minute with a spatula to combine. Add bean sprouts and chopped green onions at the end. Mix well for another minute and remove from heat.
Transfer the rice rolls onto a place and top with half the peanut butter sauce and a sprinkle of chopped peanuts and sesame seeds. Serve the other half of the sauce on the side for extra dipping.
How to Make Peanut Butter Sauce
Mix the peanut butter and hot water together in a bowl until smooth and creamy. Add in the bean paste (or hoisin sauce) and sugar. Stir well with a spoon to dissolve the sugar in the sauce. The peanut butter sauce should have a smooth and creamy consistency.
Tips for Making Rice Noodle Rolls
- Prep the ingredients before you start. Have all your ingredients prepped and ready before you begin. Stir-frying in general is a very fast process and by having your ingredients prepped and within hands reach, it will ensure that everything goes smoothly.
- Can you prepare this stir-fry in advance? You can prepare your ingredients in advance, but stir-fried rice noodle rolls are best served fresh. In particular, you should always prepare noodles fresh because once they start going cold, they will stick together and get stiff.
- How do you store rice noodle rolls? If you have leftovers, store rice noodle rolls in an airtight container for up to 3 days in the refrigerator.
More Stir-Fry Recipes
- Shanghai Style Fried Noodles
- Stir-Fried Rice Cakes with Shrimp
- 10-Minute Vegetarian Fried Rice
- Easy 15-Minute Lo Mein
- 10-Minute Chicken Pad Thai
Did you make this recipe? I would greatly appreciate a comment and rating below, letting me know what you thought of the recipe. You can also snap a picture and tag me on Instagram @aheadofthyme or share it on the Pinterest pin so that I can follow along.