Did you know that you don't need to make a trip to the frozen aisle of the grocery store in order to make pizza at home? Of course you know that. But did you know that you can make pizza from scratch in about 40 minutes (plus extra time to allow the homemade dough to rise)? Well now you do! Let me introduce you to my new best friend: spinach tomato and prosciutto pizza.
This pizza combines the flavours of salty prosciutto, sweet tomatoes, gooey mozzarella and delicate spinach to create a masterpiece. It also doesn't have any tomato sauce, which may seem odd since that is pretty much the main ingredient in most pizzas. Instead, this recipe uses fresh tomatoes to achieve that same flavour. I drew my inspiration from a trip that I took to Europe last year, where only a very few of their pizzas actually have tomato sauce.
Homemade Pizza Dough
It is also surprisingly very easy to make your own homemade pizza dough. You literally need just a few ingredients -- flour, yeast, salt, and oil and some sugar. Once you have combined the ingredients together and formed a dough, you set it aside for 45-60 minutes to let the dough rise and double in size. That's it.
You can also prepare the dough ahead of time and refrigerate it for up to 3 days. So, really you can make this on the weekend, and then once that busy weeknight rolls around, just spend just a few minutes adding toppings before popping it into the oven. How easy!
So what are you waiting for? This weeknight-friendly pizza is calling your name! Give it a try, and watch as it becomes a household favourite!
More Pizza Recipes
- Small Batch Sourdough Pizza Dough
- Easy Skillet Neapolitan Margherita Pizza
- Salami and Mushroom Skillet Pizza
- Mushroom and Arugula Skillet Pizza
- 30-Minute BBQ Chicken Pizza
- Classic Roman Herbed Potato Pizza
The combination of salty prosciutto, sweet tomatoes, gooey mozzarella and delicate spinach to come together to create a masterpiece -- spinach tomato and prosciutto pizza!
- ¾ cup warm water
- ¾ tablespoons active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- ¾ cup mini tomatoes (red and yellow), sliced in half
- ¾ cup mini mozzarella balls, sliced in half
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 7 oz. prosciutto
- 2 teaspoons pizza seasoning mix
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Pour warm water into a small bowl. Stir in yeast. Add sugar and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Combine the flour and salt in a large bowl and make a well in the centre. Add the yeast mixture and oil. Using a wooden spoon mix until the mixture is combined. Use your hands to bring the dough together in the bowl. Cover and set aside in a warm and dry place to rise for 45-60 minutes or until dough doubles in size.
- Preheat the oven to 410ºF .
- Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 5 minutes, until smooth and elastic. Use a rolling pin to roll the dough into a 15-inch disc.
- Add the toppings: tomatoes, mozzarella, spinach, and prosciutto. Season with pizza seasoning and black pepper. Drizzle with olive oil.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes. Serve hot.
- For extra crispy crust, blind bake the rolled-out pizza dough for about 5 minutes at 400ºF adding the toppings and baking.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes (+45 minute wait time for yeast)
- Cook Time: 20 minutes