It's been all about pizza this summer and I ain't complaining. This easy and simple salami and mushroom skillet pizza is another delicious one to add to the books. It's got the crispiest pizza crust and is topped with earthy mushrooms, salty salami, and fresh gooey mozzarella cheese. These ingredients are just meant for each other. Plus, this perfectly crisp pizza is ready in eat in about 10 minutes and is made entirely in a cast-iron or oven safe skillet. No pizza stone required.
What is in this Skillet Pizza?
- pizza dough - either homemade or storebought. Try my homemade sourdough pizza dough using discard sourdough starter.
- pizza sauce - either homemade or storebought.
- cremini (brown) mushrooms
- mozzarella cheese - fresh mozzarella is best. Slice it up or just tear some pieces off the mozzarella ball.
- fresh basil leaves
How to Make the Best Salami and Mushroom Skillet Pizza
- Prepare the pizza dough. Transfer pizza dough onto a floured surface. Gently press the pizza dough with your fingers into an 8-inch circle.
- Cook pizza on the skillet. Heat a cast-iron skillet (or oven safe skillet) over medium-high heat on the stove. Once hot, place the flattened dough onto the skillet and spread it over the entire skillet. Quickly add pizza sauce and spread evenly. Place sliced mushrooms, salami, fresh mozzarella cheese and basil on top. Cook for 5 minutes or until the bottom of the crust starts to brown.
- Transfer pizza to oven. Transfer the skillet into a preheated broiler and cook for 3 minutes or until the crust is blistered and slightly charred. Keep a close eye on the broiler because the crust can burn quite quickly.
- Serve. Remove the skillet from the oven and transfer the pizza onto a plate or cutting board. Slice into 4-6 pieces and serve.
Tips for Making Pizza in a Skillet
- Use an oven-safe skillet. I recommend using a cast-iron skillet. It allows you to easily transfer the pizza from the stovetop to the oven without removing it out of the skillet. You can still make this pizza in a regular skillet. Just carefully transfer the pizza onto a parchment-lined baking sheet and place under the broiler.
- Make your own pizza dough. If you have the time, try making your own pizza dough. You can make your own using commercial yeast or with sourdough starter. I love using sourdough pizza dough for it's airy and chewy crust with great flavour.
- Prep your ingredients before you start. Have all your ingredients (sauce and toppings) prepped and ready to go. Once your pizza dough hits the skillet, you will need to add everything immediately.
More Pizza Recipes
- Small Batch Sourdough Pizza Dough
- Easy Skillet Neapolitan Margherita Pizza
- Mushroom and Arugula Skillet Pizza
- 30-Minute BBQ Chicken Pizza
Did you make this recipe? I would greatly appreciate a comment and rating below, letting me know what you thought of the recipe. You can also snap a picture and tag me on Instagram @aheadofthyme or share it on the Pinterest pin so that I can follow along.
Easy salami and mushroom skillet pizza with a crispy pizza crust, mushrooms, salami, and fresh mozzarella is ready on the skillet in about 10 minutes.
- 250 grams pizza dough
- 1/4 cup pizza sauce
- 2-3 cremini (brown) mushrooms, stems removed and sliced
- 75 grams salami, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced
- 4-5 fresh basil leaves
- Turn the oven broiler to high. Heat a cast-iron skillet on the stove, over medium-high heat.
- Transfer pizza dough onto a floured surface. Gently press the pizza dough with your fingers into an 8-inch circle. Sprinkle some flour if needed to prevent stickiness.
- Have your pizza sauce and ingredients prepped and ready close by. Once the skillet is hot, place the flattened dough onto the skillet. Stretch out the dough a bit more to let it spread over the entire skillet. Quickly add the pizza sauce and spread evenly over the pizza crust. Place sliced mushrooms, salami, fresh mozzarella cheese, and basil leaves on top.
- Leave the pizza to cook on the skillet for 5 minutes or until the bottom of the crust starts to brown.
- Transfer the cast-iron skillet to the preheated broiler and cook for 3 minutes or until the crust is blistered and slightly charred. Keep your eye closely on the broil, because the intense heat can make pizza crust burn quite quickly.
- Remove the skillet and transfer the pizza onto a cutting board. Slice pizza into 4-6 pieces with a knife or pizza cutter and serve.
Use am oven-safe skillet. I recommend using a cast-iron skillet. It makes things so easy because you can easily transfer the pizza from the stovetop to the oven without taking it out of the skillet. If you don't have a cast-iron or oven-safe skillet, you can use a regular skillet, and carefully transfer the pizza to a parchment-lined baking sheet to broil.
Make your own pizza dough. If you have the time, I recommend making your own pizza dough. It really makes a difference in the taste and texture of the pizza. I used my sourdough pizza dough which yields an airy and chewy crust with great flavour.
Prep your ingredients before you start. Have your pizza sauce and toppings prepped and close by before you start. Once your pizza dough hits the skillet, you will need to add the sauce, mushrooms and mozzarella immediately.
- Category: Pizza
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: salami and mushroom skillet pizza, easy skillet pizza, skillet pizza, neapolitan pizza, skillet neapolitan pizza, mushroom pizza, salami pizza