Summertime is all about the grill. Nothing hits the spot quite right as flame-kissed skewers. Add in a rich, citrus-based marinade and we have juicy, grilled orange chicken skewers. YES.
These skewers are AH-mazing grilled on the barbecue, but they can also work well on an electric grill or in the oven. Honestly, the marinade is the bomb. Don't be fooled by the simple ingredients, the chicken is incredibly flavourful! You and your guests will go mad for them! We have already eaten all these little bad boys and I seriously cannot wait to make them and eat them again…
Plus, these orange chicken skewers are super easy to prepare. You just cut your chicken breast into thin strips, soak them in the marinade overnight (or if you don’t have time, 2-3 hours should be enough, but the longer the better!). Then just thread the chicken into skewers and grill away! But do note that if you are using wooden skewers, make sure they are soaked in cold water prior to grilling. This will prevent them from burning on the barbecue. Easy-peasy!
The ease of this recipe makes it perfect for an easy, healthy weeknight dinner. And thanks to the citrus flavours, it is a total twist on basic, run-of-the-mill chicken dinner.
I like to serve these chicken skewers with a fresh, zingy salad, some coconut rice, Greek yogurt or basically anything you can think of! My personal favourite is with Greek yogurt because it balances out all the flavours. You might also like to add some extra lemon juice, a clove of minced garlic and fresh parsley to the yogurt to give it a little extra flavour. And if you feel like it, sprinkle some sesame seeds on top and dig in!
The recipe serves two, but can be easily doubled to serve more (or if you just want to make sure you have leftovers for lunch the next day).
Nothing hits the spot quite right as flame-kissed skewers in the heat of summer. Add in a rich, citrus-based marinade to create delicious, juicy, grilled orange chicken skewers for dinner tonight!
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- juice and zest of 1 lemon
- juice and zest of 1 lime
- juice and zest of 3 oranges
- 2 tablespoons fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 2 small chicken breasts, cut into long strips
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped (optional, for garnish)
- In a small bowl, mix all the marinade ingredients until combined. Place the chicken strips in a shallow dish and pour the marinade over. Cover and refrigerate overnight (they are best marinated for 8 hours, but can work if soaked for 2-3 hours).
- Remove the chicken from the marinade, reserve the marinade.
- Thread chicken onto eight 10-inch skewers. If you are using wooden skewers, soak them in water for 30 minutes before you thread the chicken on and grill to stop them from burning. Preheat grill or grill pan to medium-high.
- Sprinkle the chicken with chili powder, salt and pepper. Grill the chicken skewers over medium heat around 3 minutes on each side, brushing with the reserved marinade a few times. Remove from heat.
- Place on a serving dish, sprinkle generously with parsley. Serve with lemon or lime wedges, plain Greek yogurt and some salad on the side.