Another day, another pizza. Easy and delicious homemade mushroom and arugula skillet pizza is my latest obsession. This perfectly crispy pizza crust is topped with earthy mushrooms, peppery arugula, and fresh gooey mozzarella cheese. The arugula is tossed in some olive oil to really bring out the flavours. It's so so delicious. And the best part? You don't need a fancy pizza stone to get that perfect pizza crust, all you need is a cast-iron or oven-safe skillet.
What is in this Vegetarian Pizza?
- pizza dough - you can use homemade pizza dough or storebought dough. I used homemade sourdough pizza dough for this one.
- pizza sauce - you can use homemade or storebought.
- cremini (brown) mushrooms
- mozzarella cheese - fresh mozzarella is best. Slice it up or just tear some pieces off the mozzarella ball.
- fresh baby arugula - 1 big cup of arugula. Feel free to add less (or more!) based on your personal preference.
- olive oil
How to Make the Best Mushroom and Arugula Skillet Pizza
- Prepare the pizza dough. Transfer pizza dough onto a floured surface. Gently press the pizza dough with your fingers into an 8-inch circle. Sprinkle some flour if needed to prevent stickiness.
- Cook pizza on the skillet. Heat a cast-iron skillet on the stove, over medium-high heat. Once the skillet is hot, place the flattened dough onto the skillet. Stretch it out more, if needed, to spread it over the entire skillet. Quickly spread the pizza sauce evenly over the pizza crust. Add sliced mushrooms and fresh mozzarella cheese on top. Cook on the skillet for 5 minutes or until the bottom of the crust starts to brown.
- Transfer pizza to oven. Transfer the cast-iron skillet into a preheated broiler and cook for 3 minutes or until the crust is blistered and slightly charred. Keep your eye closely on the broil, because the intense heat can make pizza crust burn quite quickly. Remove the skillet and transfer the pizza onto a cutting board.
- Top with arugula. In a small bowl, toss arugula with olive oil. Top pizza with arugula mixture. Slice pizza into 4-6 pieces with a knife or pizza cutter and serve.
Tips for Making Homemade Skillet Pizza
- Use an oven-safe skillet. I recommend using a cast-iron skillet. It makes things so easy because you can easily transfer the pizza from the stovetop to the oven without taking it out of the skillet. If you don't have a cast-iron or oven-safe skillet, you can use a regular skillet, and carefully transfer the pizza to a parchment-lined baking sheet to broil.
- Make your own pizza dough. If you have the time, I recommend making your own pizza dough. It really makes a difference in the taste and texture of the pizza. Try homemade pizza dough or sourdough pizza dough which yields an airy and chewy crust with great flavour.
- Prep your ingredients before you start. Have your pizza sauce and toppings prepped and close by before you start. Once your pizza dough hits the skillet, you will need to add the sauce, mushrooms and mozzarella immediately.
More Pizza Recipes
- Small Batch Sourdough Pizza Dough
- Easy Skillet Neapolitan Margherita Pizza
- 30-Minute BBQ Chicken Pizza
- Salami and Mushroom Skillet Pizza
- Classic Roman Herbed Potato Pizza
Did you make this recipe? I would greatly appreciate a comment and rating below, letting me know what you thought of the recipe. You can also snap a picture and tag me on Instagram @aheadofthyme or share it on the Pinterest pin so that I can follow along.