So this summer, while my husband has been off on paternity leave to help take care of our little one, he has been working up a storm in the kitchen, and I am so okay with it! He literally tries something at a restaurant and then recreates it at home. I’ve gotten so used to him whipping up some amazing recipes that I am really dreading him having to go back to work. His latest creation is healthy fish and chips with homemade tartar sauce. I mean… come on! Proud wifey over here.
Homemade fish and chips is crispy on the outside and juicy, tender, and oh so flakey on the inside. It is literally oozing with flavour in every flake. If you haven’t guessed, I am obviously talking about the fish! The chips are pretty amazing too. Crunchy on the outside, soft and fluffy on the inside.
It’s pretty great that you can achieve these culinary results right from home. This version of fish and chips is pan-fried so it won’t be as crispy as the one that you would order at the restaurant or at a fish stand at the beach (but pretty darn close!), because those are deep fried in heaps of oil. Yes, deep-fried is very delicious but it isn’t the healthiest. My version is so much healthier for you because both the fish and chips are pan-fried in a little bit of oil. The same flavour but with much lower calories. Um that’s what I can a major win!
Homemade Tartar Sauce
Before I became a food blogger, I don’t know why making homemade sauces was so daunting. For some reason, it just made sense that you buy sauce at the store. I guess I didn’t really think to make it at home and I have no idea why. It is so much easier and healthier because you know what you are putting in there, meaning no preservatives! Sure our tartar sauce might not last for months in the fridge, but why would you want it to? Just make it fresh the next time. As long as you have some mayonnaise, relish, lemons, and a hint of mustard, you have tartar sauce. I know, sooo easy, right?!
These healthy fish and chips are crispy on the outside and juicy, tender, and flakey on the inside. Pair it with homemade tartar sauce and say hello to comfort food heaven!
Fish and Chips:
- 1 lb. cod fillets, sliced into 4 square fillets
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 teaspoon roasted garlic pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- lemon slices, for serving
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 russet potatoes, cut into strips
- 1/2 tablespoon sweet relish
- 1/2 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1/4 teaspoon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon ketchup
- juice from 1/4 lemon
- Combine 1/2 cup flour, roasted garlic pepper, salt and black pepper in a ziplock bag and shake it to mix together. Put the fillets, one at a time, into the bag and seal. Shake the bag to coat the fillet with the seasoning. Remove fillet and place on a dry plate. Repeat with all the fillets.
- Whisk the egg in a bowl and pour into a shallow dish. In another shallow dish, add the remaining 1/2 cup flour.
- Now, start coating the cod fillets. First, dip the cod into the egg mixture and fully coat. Next, dip it into the flour and coat fully. Slightly shake the fillets to remove any excess clumps of flour.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat and place the fillets in the skillet. Cook fillets for about 6 minutes on each side, until the batter the golden brown and crispy. Turn over and cook for another 6 minutes on the other side.
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium high heat. Add potato strips and generously season with salt. Cook, continuously stirring, until potatoes are cooked thoroughly and turn golden brown, approximately 10-15 minutes.
- Prepare the tartar sauce by combining sweet relish, mayonnaise, mustard, ketchup and lemon juice in a bowl and stir together. Serve alongside fish and chips. Garnish with some lemon slices and enjoy!