Have you ever eaten raw brussels sprouts? I’m not talking about biting into one whole, but serving them thinly sliced in a salad? They’re perfect — they’re sturdy enough to hold their shape, even when shredded, but are far less bitter than biting into heartier, leafy greens.
Here, the star of the show is the warm lemon, caper, and anchovy vinaigrette. The brussels sprouts take on the dressing’s flavour, and really all you need to counteract the bite from the anchovy is a few handfuls of raisins or dried cranberries.
I found some beautiful meyer lemons in the store so grabbed those for this recipe, but you could certainly switch it out for a regular lemon. Just keep in mind that meyer lemons are naturally sweeter, so if you do use a regular lemon, you may want to add 1 teaspoon of sugar to the dressing (during cooking, so it dissolves). But listen, if you like anchovies, you’re going to go crazy for this! The salad is pungent, but in the best possible way. A total explosion of flavours and perfect for a light, filling meal!
Brussels sprouts salad with warm lemon anchovy vinaigrette is pungent, but in the best possible way! A total explosion of flavours and perfect for a light, filling meal!
- 1 lb. brussels sprouts, cleaned and ends trimmed
- ¼ cup raisins or dried cranberries
- 1 anchovy, drained
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- juice from half a meyer lemon (approx. 2 tablespoons)
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon capers, drained
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon sugar (optional)
- Cut brussels sprouts in half through the core. Place brussels sprouts down on a flat surface and thinly slice until all the sprouts are shredded. Place in a large bowl or on a large platter. Scatter raisins or dried cranberries on top.
- To make the dressing, preheat a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Add anchovy and break up using the back of a wooden spoon or spatula. Once smashed, add red wine vinegar and whisk to combine. Add remaining ingredients and cook until just simmering, about 3 minutes. If dressing is too tangy, add 1 teaspoon sugar and stir until dissolved.
- Serve salad with warm lemon-anchovy vinaigrette drizzled on top.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes