These healthy fish and chips are crispy on the outside and juicy, tender, and flakey on the inside. Pair it with homemade tartar sauce and say hello to comfort food heaven!
For the fish:
- 1 lb. cod fillets, sliced into 4 square fillets
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 teaspoon roasted garlic pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- lemon slices, for serving
For the chips:
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 russet potatoes, cut into strips
For the tartar sauce:
- 1/2 tablespoon sweet relish
- 1/2 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1/4 teaspoon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon ketchup
- juice from 1/4 lemon
- Combine 1/2 cup flour, roasted garlic pepper, salt and black pepper in a ziplock bag and shake it to mix together. Put the fillets, one at a time, into the bag and seal. Shake the bag to coat the fillet with the seasoning. Remove fillet and place on a dry plate. Repeat with all the fillets.
- Whisk the egg in a bowl and pour into a shallow dish. In another shallow dish, add the remaining 1/2 cup flour.
- Now, start coating the cod fillets. First, dip the cod into the egg mixture and fully coat. Next, dip it into the flour and coat fully. Slightly shake the fillets to remove any excess clumps of flour.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat and place the fillets in the skillet. Cook fillets for about 6 minutes on each side, until the batter the golden brown and crispy. Turn over and cook for another 6 minutes on the other side.
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium high heat. Add potato strips and generously season with salt. Cook, continuously stirring, until potatoes are cooked thoroughly and turn golden brown, approximately 10-15 minutes.
- Prepare the tartar sauce by combining sweet relish, mayonnaise, mustard, ketchup and lemon juice in a bowl and stir together. Serve alongside fish and chips. Garnish with some lemon slices and enjoy!
- Category: Seafood
- Method: Pan Fry
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: fish and chips, healthy fish and chips