I love granola. I eat it for breakfast in a fruit and yogurt parfait or as my morning cereal with milk. I eat it by the handful throughout the day as a snack. I simply cannot get enough. And when you add coconut and maple flavours to the mix… mind-blowing! Coconut maple walnut granola is my new obsession.
If you have been on my blog before, you know that I am an advocate for homemade vs. store-bought. But I am particularly big on staying away from store-bought granola because it is marketed as healthy and low-fat yet it is FULL of sugar, preservatives and other weird, unknown ingredients. The sugar content in homemade granola is way less and is derived from 100% pure maple syrup. For my full rant on how bad store-bought granola is, check out my Almond Pecan Granola post. 🙂
I had to make a fresh batch of granola today because the last few days have been absolutely gorgeous and sunny which has caused me to spend lots of time outdoors. Granola is my snack of choice when embarking on outdoor activities and going on hikes. It gives me enough energy to make it up the mountain and take in the gorgeous views at the top. So, I have obviously run out of these nutty clusters and need to restore my supply. Thank goodness it is soo easy to make!
- This granola has a very subtle coconut flavour from the coconut oil. To increase the coconut taste, add 1/2 cup shredded, unsweetened coconut and be amazed!
- This recipe can last for up to 2 weeks stored in an airtight container.
Give yourself a healthy start to your day with some homemade coconut maple walnut granola. You will never go back to that high-sugar store-bought stuff!
- 2 cups large flake oats (or rolled oats)
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 1/2 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 300 F.
- In a large bowl, combine the oats, walnuts, almonds and pecans and stir to combine.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the maple syrup, coconut oil, vanilla and cinnamon. Stir well to combine.
- Pour this mixture to your large bowl or dry ingredients. Using a wooden spoon, stir well to combine.
- Line a cooking tray with aluminum foil or parchment paper and spread the granola mixture evenly.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Every 10 minutes, take the tray out of the oven and give it a good stir. Re-spread the granola and put back in the oven.
- Once done, remove the granola from the oven and let cool completely.