So…remember those Easy Lima Beans that I cooked up last week? Well, I made a big batch and I had lots of leftovers. I decided to do something creative with what was left. So today, I am sharing my new recipe for homemade veggie burger patties with lima beans.
The best part of this recipe is that it is easy! However, before you can start to make these burgers, you will need to make the Easy Lima Beans. This part prepping will take a some time. Making the beans will take about 40 minutes, and then you want it to cool for about an hour. So, this is the perfect recipe to make ahead of
thyme time. So, if you have already made the Easy Lima Beans, even better!! Just take it out of the fridge and start making the patties.
Once the beans are ready and cool, you only need 2 more ingredients to make the perfect patty. Breadcrumbs and egg. I make my own breadcrumbs by toasting my favourite bread and putting in the blender. This way I can choose to make the patties gluten-free by using gluten-free bread.
You will need to puree the beans in your blender or food processor, pour it into a bowl, add the breadcrumbs and eggs and stir until fully combined. Scoop out the mixture into an oiled skillet and fry for a couple of minutes on each side. That’s it!
These veggie burger patties are so versatile that you can eat them in so many different ways and they can be served during any course.
- They are an excellent appetizer that you can dip into ketchup or your favourite sauce.
- They can be served over a green salad to make a filling lunch.
- They can be dinner when served over a plate of Basmati rice.
These patties can be gluten-free. To keep them gluten-free, ensure that you are using gluten-free bread for the breadcrumbs.
My favourite way to eat these delicious patties is obviously in a burger 🙂 Top it with your favourite toppings and devour! I topped mine with tomato, onions, lettuce, mayo and ketchup. I used a whole wheat bun but if you want to keep this gluten-free, you will need to use gluten-free buns.
- 2 cups of my Easy Lima Beans recipe
- 1 cup bread crumbs (try gluten-free)
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp. vegetable oil
If making a burger:
- 4 burger buns
- 1 tomato, cut into slices
- ½ onion, cut into slices
- 4 leafs of lettuce
- Make a batch of my Easy Lima Beans recipe and let cool for about one hour.
- In a food processor or blender, puree 2 cups of the lima beans mixture.
- Pour into a medium sized bowl and add the bread crumbs and egg. Stir until fully combined.
- Heat vegetable oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add a scoop of the lima beans mixture. Cook for about a couple of minutes until the bottom surface starts to brown. Flip over and cook on the other side for a few minutes.
- Serve the patties hot on their own or in a burger.