Strawberry crumb bars are sweet, savory, and tart. These delicious bars have a layer of jammy strawberries sandwiched between a crumbly pastry crust layer and an oatmeal streusel-like topping. Similar to our Cranberry Sauce Oat Bars, this recipe is so easy to throw together and it's ready to serve in just an hour. It's one of the most delicious summer desserts to keep in your cookbook. And trust me, you will keep going back to it all season long.
Why You’ll Love Strawberry Crumb Bars
- Freshly baked fruity dessert. There’s nothing quite like a freshly baked summer dessert that is loaded with berries. When strawberry season comes around, you are sure to find me in the kitchen baking up a storm. Whether it's these crumb bars, Fresh Strawberry Pie, or Strawberry Bread, the natural sweetness in these desserts are phenomenal.
- Easy homemade pastry dough. Making pastry dough is easy when you know the tips and tricks that make it taste great. The secret to an easy pastry dough is combining the ingredients into a food processor!
- Quick and easy. These dessert bars are ready from start to finish in only one hour, plus the prep time is just 15 minutes. There’s no coming and going, incessant waiting, or proofing. And it's baked in one tray, so clean-up is relatively easy. All you need to do is cut the bars into a size that suits you and wash the tray.
To make these delicious strawberry crumb bars, you will need the following ingredients:
- all-purpose flour
- granulated sugar
- baking powder
- cold butter
- ice water
- strawberries - I recommend using fresh strawberries in this recipe. Using frozen strawberries will make the filling too watery.
- rolled oats
How to Make the Best Strawberry Crumb Bars
- Make the pastry mixture. In a food processor, add flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, butter and egg. Pulse on and off until flour mixture forms into small pieces of dough, approximately 1 minute. Drizzle ice water into the mixture. Close the lid and continue to pulse on and off for another 1 minute, until the dough turns into a breadcrumb consistency. You can also do this by hand with a fork or pastry cutter in a large bowl.
- Prepare the strawberry filling. In a medium mixing bowl, combine strawberries, sugar, and cornstarch until evenly coated.
- Layer the crumb bars. Generously grease an 8-inch square baking dish with butter or cooking oil. Evenly spread ⅔ of the crumb mixture into the baking pan and press to pack it down and form an even bottom crust. Pour and evenly spread strawberry mixture on top. Sprinkle the remaining ⅓ crumb mixture and top with oats.
- Bake. Bake in a 375 preheated oven for 40-45 minutes until the crust turns golden brown. Let it cool at room temperature for about 30 minutes (or store in the freezer for 15 minutes to help the crumb bars harden a bit).
- Serve. Cut the strawberry crumb bars into 9 squares and serve warm or cold.
Recipe Tips and Tricks
- Chop the strawberries berries evenly: When you slice your berries, aim to keep them the same size. Consistent berries will ensure that the filling has a smooth and consistent texture and cooks evenly.
- How to store: Store strawberry crumble bars in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- How to freeze: You can also store the strawberry crumb bars in the freezer for up to 3 months. Wrap them individually in plastic wrap and store in a freezer bag or airtight container.
More Strawberry Recipes
- Fresh Strawberry Pie
- Strawberry Frozen Yogurt
- Baked Jelly Donuts with Strawberry Jam
- Strawberry Bread
- Sparkling Strawberry Lemonade
- Strawberry Avocado Salad
- Strawberry Banana Smoothie
Did you make this recipe? I would greatly appreciate a comment and rating below, letting me know what you thought of the recipe. You can also snap a picture and tag me on Instagram @aheadofthyme or share it on the Pinterest pin so that I can follow along.