Now that spring is finally here, it’s time to start indulging in some lighter meals. Roasted asparagus with poached eggs are a match made in heaven. I don’t know whether to call this one breakfast, lunch or dinner, because it’s a meal that I can eat any time of day. And one that I could eat over and over again.
I am kind of obsessed with all things asparagus (you may have noticed this by the abundance of asparagus recipes that I feature on the blog every year), so I get super excited when they are finally in season! Although, asparagus is available in my local grocery store pretty much all year round, nothing beats the fresh farmer’s market kind which only surfaces this time of year.
My favourite way to prepare asparagus is roasting it. It develops a much more deeper and intense flavour, as opposed to steamed asparagus. And the only way to serve eggs with this is poached. Poaching the eggs ensures runny yolks, and the asparagus is perfect for sopping it up with. Don’t forget to top up the eggs with fresh herbs and lots of black pepper for a classy, elevated brunch dish, or simply to celebrate the arrival of spring!
Treat a loved one to this easy to prepare dish that will leave you feeling light, but completely satisfied. Seriously, breakfast at home never tasted so good!
Roasted asparagus with poached eggs is a match made in food heaven. Serve this topped with fresh herbs and lots of black pepper for a classy, elevated brunch dish that will leave you feeling light, but completely satisfied, or simply to celebrate the arrival of spring!
- 1 bundle asparagus, ends trimmed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 eggs
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- fresh dill or other herb, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 425 F. Place trimmed asparagus on a rimmed baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Roast for about 12-15 minutes, or until asparagus is just tender.
- While asparagus is in the oven, crack each egg into their own small bowl, being careful not to break the yolk. Bring a medium saucepan filled with water to a boil, then add vinegar. Lower heat until water is simmering. Gently lower eggs into water and cook for 4 minutes, or until egg whites are set and yolks are soft and runny.
- Carefully remove eggs from the water with a slotted spoon. Serve eggs on top of roasted asparagus, then season eggs with additional salt and pepper. Garnish with fresh herbs, if using.