I love everything about summer. The weather, the patios, the outdoor activities and last, but certainly not least, the barbecues! Last weekend, my hubby and I went to the local Asian night market here in Vancouver. The night market has grown into a huge event full of hundreds of vendors. If you want any type of Asian street food, it is there. We have probably tried almost every single vendor! But each year, our go-to favourites are the barbecue skewers. My husband claimed he could make them better so I put him to the challenge. And boy did he do well. He made a batch of mouthwatering, juicy, grilled spicy cumin lamb skewers.
Being a bit of a perfectionist, he had to do things right. He went all out and bought a portable Chinese grill, a cooler, and camping chairs. We are basically set for a summer of grilling and boy am I excited!!
I had never seen or heard of a Chinese grill before I saw him come home with one. If you don't have such a grill, you can buy on online or you can use any charcoal grill. A charcoal grill is essential for giving the skewers its amazing smoky flavour that will mimic Chinese street food. Plus it adds those gorgeous charred burnt marks. I like my skewers extra charred. If you don't, then just don't grill your skewers as long as I do.
More Grilled Skewer Recipes
- Chicken Satay Skewers with Peanut Sauce
- Greek Lamb Souvlaki Skewers
- Teriyaki Chicken Skewers with Pineapple
- Easy Greek Chicken Souvlaki Skewers
- Souvlaki Beef Shish Kebabs
- Persian Saffron Chicken Kebabs (Joojeh Kabob)
Grilled Spicy Cumin Lamb Skewers
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 12-14 skewers
Craving authentic Chinese street food? You can now make juicy, grilled spicy cumin lamb skewers at home in your own backyard!
- 1 pound lamb meat, cut into half inch cubes
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon Chinese cooking wine (Shaoxing wine)
- 2 tablespoons cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon red pepper powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- cumin powder
- red pepper powder (optional for spicy)
- cumin seeds
- In a medium bowl, combine lamb, garlic, oil, soy sauce, cooking wine, cumin powder, red pepper powder, and salt and toss to combine.
- Cover bowl with plastic wrap and place refridgerator for at least 30 minutes.
- Thread lamb closely onto skewers and sprinkle with cumin powder, red pepper powder, and whole cumin seeds on all sides.
- Grill skewers, flipping frequently until meat is fully cooked (when surfaces start to char and turn brown).
- Remove from grill and serve immediately.
- Prep Time: 30 min
- Cook Time: 5 min
- Category: Appetizer
- Method: Grill
- Cuisine: Chinese
having recently just tried lamb was surprised that it was rather good. My mother was always against serving lamb as she did not really like it. Will be trying this recipe soon
come see us at http://shopannies.blogspot.com
Prerna Garg says
This is the perfect picnic recipe for the day out with friends. I am definitely trying it for this weekend!
Street food is seriously the best! Love these skewers, too! And I agree - they need those crispy charred bits from the charcoal fire to make them amazing! I need to try this recipe, I bet my family would love it!
peter @Feed Your Soul Too says
Sam, this is so perfect for summer. Love the smokiness the cumin gives to the lamb and awesome how you cooked right over coals to give a good char.
Wow, I've never heard of Chinese grill before. Where do you buy it? Chinese store? I also love my skewers extra charred - it's the best part!
Rebecca @ Strength and Sunshine says
Honestly, I just love anything with cumin! So good!