Happy first day of April! It's officially what I like to call, carrot cake season. So let me start off by asking, do you like carrot cake? Do you like cheesecake? If you answered yes to both, then you, my friend, are in for a treat. Let me introduce super moist and perfectly spiced carrot cake with cheesecake topping into your life. It truly is the ultimate spring dessert.
How to Make Super Moist Carrot Cake
There are a few secrets to follow to get that perfectly moist carrot cake.
- Lots of grated carrots and I mean lots. The key here is also to shred the carrots, and then chop the shredded bits into smaller pieces. This will help ensure that the carrots are evenly distributed throughout the batter.
- Adding the cheesecake topping add extra moistness. The reason is that the cheesecake layer adds a little barrier which helps trap extra moisture inside the cake.
Initially, I was planning to make a carrot cheesecake which is basically carrot cake and cheesecake batter poured into a pan in even layers and swirled into each other. The only problem was that I didn't have enough cream cheese and of course they are all out in the store, along with everything else. I thought of just making the cake with cream cheese frosting but I really wanted my cheesecake fix. So this thinner cheesecake topping was born. And it has changed my carrot cake life forever.
It is just the right amount of cheesecake to complement each slice of carrot cake, without overpowering it and essentially turning it into a carrot cheesecake. Plus, since it's just on the topping, I like think that this cake is healthy-ish. Are you with me?
How to Make Carrot Cake with Cheesecake Topping
- make the cake batter - made using carrots, flour, eggs, brown sugar, butter, vanilla, baking powder, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- make the cheesecake topping - made using cream cheese, Greek yogurt, sugar, vanilla, and eggs.
- assemble and bake - pour the cake batter into a springform pan, and pour the cheesecake batter on top.
- cool down - let the cheesecake topping set and solidify.
How to Store Carrot Cake
This cake can be stored for up to 5 days an air tight container in the refrigerator. You can also store this cake in the freezer for up to 3 months, tightly double-wrapped with aluminum foil or plastic wrap and placed in an airtight container. Just let it thaw overnight in the refrigerator once you are ready to serve it.
More Cake Recipes
- Classic New York Cheesecake
- Healthier Caramel Apple Fall Cheesecake
- Festive Yogurt Fruitcake
- Spiced Carrot Muffins
- Glazed Brown Sugar Bundt Cake
Did you make this recipe? I would greatly appreciate a comment and rating below, letting me know what you thought of the recipe. You can also snap a picture and tag me on Instagram @aheadofthyme or share it on the Pinterest pin so that I can follow along.
Super moist and perfectly spiced carrot cake with a creamy cheesecake topping is flavourful, comforting, and the perfect homemade spring dessert.
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 + 1/2 cups carrot, shredded and chopped fine (approximately 2 medium carrots)
- 1 + 1/2 packages cream cheese (375 g total), softened
- 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- Preheat oven to 350˚F (180˚C).
- In a large bowl, combine brown sugar, melted butter, vanilla and eggs, and whisk until smooth. Add flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and nutmeg, and stir with a spatula until just combined. Fold in the shredded carrot until evenly distributed. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine cream cheese, yogurt, sugar and vanilla and mix together with a hand mixer until well blended. Add the eggs, one at a time, and beat until just blended. Do not overmix to avoid cracking during baking.
- Pour the carrot cake batter into a greased 8-inch springform pan and smooth the top. Pour the cheesecake batter on top. Bake for 45 minutes. Turn off the oven and let it cool down in the oven for another 30 minutes. Do not open the oven during the cool down period as sudden temperature drops will cause cracking on the cheesecake topping.
- Remove from the oven and let cake cool to room temperature, about 1 hour. Then, refrigerate for 4 hours, or overnight.
You can store this carrot cake in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days, or in the freezer for up to 3 months. To freeze, tightly double-wrap the cheesecake with aluminum foil or plastic wrap and then place in an airtight container.
- Category: Cake
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: carrot cake, carrot cake cheesecake, cheesecake topping, easter cake, carrot dessert