Looking for the perfect snack for your kids' lunchboxes or for your own? Almond butter granola bars packed are the perfect handheld snack any time of day. They are healthy, gluten-free, and have no refined sugar. So unlike the sugary boxed stuff, you know exactly what ingredients are in these bars. It's guilt-free snacking at it's finest.
Ingredients in Almond Butter Granola Bars
- almond butter - or peanut butter for peanut butter granola bars instead.
- raw honey - or maple syrup.
- butter - or coconut oil or vegetable oil.
- vanilla extract
- rolled oats - you want to use old-fashioned rolled oats, not quick oats.
- sliced almonds - you can easily substitute with other types of nuts such as chopped pecans or walnuts.
- cocoa powder
To make these even sweeter, drizzle some some chocolate on top.
How to Make the Best Almond Butter Granola Bars
The best part about these granola bars is that they are super easy to make. First, combine the wet ingredients in a saucepan and heat over medium high heat until smooth and creamy and the butter has melted.
Next, combine the dry ingredients in a large bowl. Pour in the wet ingredients and stir to combine, fully coating all the oats.
Transfer mixture to a parchment-lined 9x9-inch baking pan and pack it in tightly. Bake for 20-25 minutes in a 325 F preheated oven. Remove parchment paper from pan and cool completely. Voila! The perfect handheld snacks are born.
Tips for Making Homemade Granola Bars
- Why did my granola bars crumble? This can happen if you don't pack the granola mixture into the pan super tightly before placing in the oven to cook. It can also happen if you wait too long to cut the bars. You want the granola bars to cool down enough to handle but not completely hard. Luckily crumbled granola bars are basically granola so they you can still enjoy them, just in a different way.
- How long do these granola bars last? You can store homemade granola bars in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 weeks.
- Can you freeze them? Yes these homemade granola bars are freezer friendly. To freeze, slice and place them on a parchment lined baking tray and freeze for an hour. Then transfer the bars into a freezer bag. They can be stored in the freezer for up to 3 months.
More Granola Recipes
- Almond Cranberry Chocolate Granola Bars
- Easy Apple Cinnamon Granola
- Pumpkin Pie Granola
- Coconut Maple Walnut Granola
- Almond Pecan Granola
- Fruit and Yogurt Parfait with Granola
Did you make this recipe? I would greatly appreciate a comment and rating below, letting me know what you thought of the recipe. You can also snap a picture and tag me on Instagram @aheadofthyme or share it on the Pinterest pin so that I can follow along.
Almond butter granola bars are the perfect handheld snack for back to school or work lunches. They are healthy, gluten-free, and have no refined sugar.
- ¾ cup almond butter
- ½ cup raw honey (or maple syrup)
- 3 tablespoons butter (or coconut oil)
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups rolled oats
- ½ cup sliced almonds
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ tablespoon cocoa powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 325 F.
- In a medium saucepan, combine almond butter, honey, butter, and vanilla over medium-low heat. Cook and stir until smooth and until butter melts.
- In a medium bowl, combine oats, almonds, cinnamon, cocoa powder, nutmeg, and salt, and mix together. Pour liquid mixture on top and stir to combine until fully incorporated and the oats are all coated with the liquid mixture.
- Transfer mixture to a parchment-lined 9x9-inch casserole dish or baking tray and firmly press mixture into the pan using a spatula or the back of a glass. Make sure it is packed very tightly and evenly.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes (add an additional 5-10 minutes for crunchier granola bars). The granola bars are done once the edges have browned and pulled away from the sides.
- Remove parchment paper from pan and cool completely on a wire rack. Slice into 12 rectangular bars.
- Store granola bars at room temperature in an airtight container.
How to store: You can store homemade granola bars in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 weeks.
How to freeze: To freeze, slice and place them on a parchment lined baking tray and freeze for an hour. Then transfer the bars into a freezer bag. They can be stored in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Snacks
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: almond butter granola bars, how to make granola bars, almond cocoa granola bars, easy granola bars