Don’t spend your hard-earned pay check on a bag of store-bought granola!! Store-bought granola is packed with a truckload of unhealthy fats and sugars and a bunch of over-processed ingredients and preservatives. You can make your own unprocessed, low sugar, preservative-free granola for a fraction of the price. What’s the catch? 5 minutes of prep time?? That is all the effort you need to put in! The oven does the rest of the work for you. That’s right folks, making your own almond pecan granola is EASY!
Healthy and wholesome granola makes the perfect snack or the perfect breakfast. It is gluten-free and is abundant in numerous vitamins and minerals. A few of its health benefits include: lowering cholesterol, aiding with digestion, reducing blood pressure and boosting energy and cognitive function.
These crispy clusters calls for a few common ingredients: oats, nuts, honey, vegetable oil, vanilla extract and cinnamon. In fact, you probably have all these ingredients at home so you don’t even need to leave your house to make this. This recipe can be your “base” granola recipe. You can add any kind of nuts or dried fruit that your heart desires (as long as you keep a balance between the dry ingredients and the wet). Did you find it too sweet? No worries, just tweek it with a little less honey or add a pinch of salt. The world is your oyster and your taste buds are making all the decisions 🙂 Get creative!
Once baked and cooled, store the granola in an airtight container. It can last for up to 2 weeks. But let’s not kid ourselves, once you try this recipe, there is no way that there will be anything left in 2 weeks!
- 2 cups large flake oats (or rolled oats)
- ¾ cup sliced almonds
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- ½ cup raw honey
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- ½ tbsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 300 F.
- Mix the oats, almonds and pecans in a large bowl. Set aside.
- In a medium sized bowl, mix together the honey, oil, vanilla and cinnamon. Stir well to combine.
- Add this mixture to your large bowl of oats. Stir well to combine.
- Line a cooking tray with aluminum foil and spread the granola mixture evenly.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Every 10 minutes, take out the cooking tray and stir well. Re-spread the granola and put back in the oven.
- Once done, remove the granola from the oven and let cool completely.
Crazy for Granola?
Try my yummy Coconut Maple Walnut Granola.