Apples, cinnamon, nutmeg… these are the aromas that are bursting life into my kitchen right now! I am obsessed with fall flavours and am pretty ecstatic about all the fall goodies that will be born in my kitchen this year. In preparation, I am taking out my slow cooker to make a batch of the most essential fall ingredient, applesauce.
I always make homemade applesauce because it is so much more flavourful than the store-bought stuff and it is soo easy to make, especially when you are making it in a slow cooker. It literally only requires:
- some apples (you can throw in whatever kind of apples you have sitting around),
- a couple fall spices (which you probably already have at home),
- 10 minutes of prep, and
- a slow cooker
Plus, store-bought applesauce is infused with tons of sugar and has been sitting on the store shelf for who knows how long. Stay away from that stuff! Homemade slow cooker applesauce is so sweet, yet sugar-free! You don’t have to feel bad giving spoonfuls of this stuff to your kids!
Homemade slow cooker applesauce is full of flavour, easy to make, and takes only a few minutes of your time! Make this essential fall ingredient today!
- 5 large apples, peeled, cored and chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Combine all ingredients in the slow cooker and stir to combine.
- Cook on high for four hours or on low for 6 hours.
- For a chunky applesauce, leave as is. For a smooth applesauce, transfer into a food processor or blender and puree.
- Allow sauce to cool and divide into containers for easy storage and use.
- You can store the applesauce in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- You can freeze applesauce for up to 3 months.