Slow cooker applesauce is easy to make, absolutely delicious, kid-friendly, and healthy. It's packed with fall flavors including apples, cinnamon, and nutmeg, that will fill up your kitchen with warm and cozy aromas while you are cooking it. Plus, slow cooker recipes are the absolute best. Just spend 10 minutes prepping the recipe, throw it in the slow cooker, and let the crockpot do its thing. Make a big batch because this applesauce also freezes well.
Why You'll Love Slow Cooker Applesauce
- It's so easy to make. Applesauce is so easy to make at home with just a handful of ingredients including apples and a few spices (which you likely already have at home), 10 minutes of prep, and let the slow cooker do its thing.
- Way better than store-bought. Homemade applesauce is so much better than store-bought which is typically infused with refined sugar and preservatives. Homemade slow cooker applesauce is so sweet, yet refined sugar-free.
- So many ways to serve it. Make a big batch and store in the refrigerator for up to 10 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months! I use applesauce as a side with my roast chicken dinner, as a sandwich spread, on top of Vanilla Ice Cream, or even in other recipes. Try it to make Applesauce Pancakes or Applesauce Bread.
Ingredients and Substitutions
To make this easy slow cooker applesauce, you will need a crockpot and the following ingredients (full quantities in recipe card below):
- lemon juice
- ground cinnamon
- ground nutmeg
For a sweetened version, add 1-2 tablespoons of brown sugar.
How to Make the Best Slow Cooker Applesauce
- Slow cook. Combine all ingredients in the slow cooker (crockpot) and stir to combine. Cook on high for 4 hours or on low for 6 hours.
- Blend. For a chunky applesauce, leave as is. For a smooth applesauce, transfer into a food processor or blender and puree until smooth, about a minute or two.
- Serve. Allow sauce to cool and serve.
Recipe Tips and Tricks
- How to serve: Serve on its own with a spoon, or serve it with a scoop of Vanilla Ice Cream, stir it into Yogurt, or serve it on meats like Roast Chicken or Roast Pork.
- How to store: Store slow cooker applesauce in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 10 days, or freeze for up to 3 months. This applesauce can also be canned for longer storage.
- How to reheat: If serving this applesauce warm, you can reheat it on the stovetop over medium-low heat for 5-10 minutes until warmed through.
More Apple Recipes
- Homemade Applesauce
- Applesauce Pancakes
- Arugula Salad with Apple and Pecan
- Baked Apple Chips
- Cranberry-Apple Cobbler with Biscuits
- Braided Lattice Apple Pie
- Easy Cinnamon Apple Granola
Did you make this recipe? I would greatly appreciate a comment and rating below, letting me know what you thought of the recipe. You can also snap a picture and tag me on Instagram @aheadofthyme or share it on the Pinterest pin so that I can follow along.