Shaved Brussels Sprout Salad is a unique and delicious fall salad packed with fresh Brussels sprouts, crisp apples, sweet cranberries, and crunchy pumpkin seeds, all tossed in a homemade vinaigrette. It’s quick, easy, and simple.
Brussels sprouts are a highly underrated ingredient, and may even be harder to sell when prepared raw, but this shredded brussels sprouts salad will make you fall in love with them in their truest, simplest form. Serve it for a light lunch or as a side for dinner.
Why You'll Love this Shredded Brussels Sprout Salad
- Complex flavors. Salty shaved parmesan cheese, crisp apples, sweet bursts of dried cranberries, and crunchy pepitas help transform humble brussels sprouts into a complex palette of flavors and textures in this shredded brussels sprouts salad recipe.
- Easy to make. Like most salads, this one is a quick toss together salad that takes jyst minutes to prepare. You will spend most of the prep time shredding the Brussels sprouts before tossing them with the rest of the ingredients.
- It’s versatile. Serve this shaved brussels sprout salad up as a side at a family Thanksgiving dinner or eat it as a quick vegetarian lunch — it’s appropriate for almost any occasion you can think of in the fall.
- No cooking necessary. Perhaps the best part about this recipe is that it involves zero cooking. No microwave, oven, or stovetop necessary. Just chop, mix, and enjoy!
To make this delicious Shaved Brussels Sprout Salad, you will need the following ingredients (full measurements in recipe card below):
- brussels sprouts
- honeycrisp apples - if you don’t like or can’t find Honeycrisp apples, try Fuji apples, Pink Lady, or Galas in their place.
- parmesan cheese - asiago or pecorino would also work as a good substitute.
- dried cranberries - raisins, dried cherries, or other similar fruits would yield a similar result.
- pepitas - pepitas are just shelled pumpkin seeds. You can also try pine nuts, walnuts, or pecans instead.
- olive oil - olive oil can be swapped with avocado oil or coconut oil.
- lemon juice - fresh squeezed lemon juice will yield the brightest flavor, but you can also use lemon juice concentrate if necessary.
- red wine vinegar - if you don’t have any red wine vinegar on hand, try using balsamic vinegar, apple cider vinegar, or rice wine vinegar.
- salt and pepper
- honey or maple syrup - choosing one or the other will make only the slightest difference in taste, so choose whichever you prefer. Honey is typically thicker and may take a little more effort to incorporate. And adding honey or maple syrup is optional if you want to add some sweetness to your salad.
How to Make the Best Shaved Brussels Sprout Salad
- Shred brussels sprouts. Cut brussels sprouts in half through the core. Place them down on a flat surface and thinly slice until all the sprouts are shredded.
- Combine ingredients. Transfer the shredded brussels sprouts to a large mixing bowl or platter. Add apples and Parmesan cheese. Scatter the dried cranberries and pepitas on top.
- Make dressing. In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the dressing ingredients until combined, including olive oil, lemon juice, vinegar, salt, and pepper.
- Serve. Pour dressing over salad and serve as is, or toss to combine.
How to Serve
Shaved Brussels Sprout Salad is delicious served on its own for a light lunch, or paired with some of my favorite fall dinners including:
- Acorn Squash Soup
- Oven Roasted Turkey Breast
- Stuffed Butternut Squash with Wild Rice
- Creamy Pesto Chicken
- Creamy Garlic Cauliflower Soup
- White Chicken Lasagna with Spinach
- Sunday Pot Roast
For more dinner ideas, see our 60+ Fall Dinner Ideas.
Place leftover shredded Brussels sprout salad in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 4 days.
Freezing salad of any kind usually results in limp or mushy vegetables once it’s thawed, but if you want to use the leftovers as ingredients in other dishes (keep reading for some tips) you can freeze the leftover brussels sprouts in a sealed freezer bag for 3-6 months!
Recipe Tips and Tricks
- Repurpose leftover brussels sprouts salad. If you have a ton of leftover salad or you want to freeze it, you can use the leftovers in other way — especially because brussels sprouts are very versatile. Separate out the brussels sprouts and add the leftovers (frozen or fresh) to a stir fry, bake in a casserole, or sauté and serve alongside roasted chicken.
- Upgrade your salad with protein. If you want to serve as a one-and-done entrée, add a significant source of protein to make the meal go further. Shredded chicken, sautéed tofu, diced steak, or hard-boiled eggs are great choices to add to this already filling salad.
More Fall Salad Recipes
- 15 Best Fall Salad Recipes
- Fall Harvest Salad
- Thanksgiving Salad
- Butternut Squash Quinoa Salad
- Apple Arugula Salad
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts Salad
Did you make this recipe? I would greatly appreciate a comment and rating below, letting me know what you thought of the recipe. You can also snap a picture and tag me on Instagram @aheadofthyme or share it on the Pinterest pin so that I can follow along.
Shaved Brussels Sprout Salad is a delicious fall salad packed with fresh sprouts, apples, cranberries, and crunchy seeds, tossed in a homemade vinaigrette.
- 1 pound brussels sprouts, cleaned and ends trimmed (or 4 cups shredded brussels sprouts)
- 1 large honeycrisp apple, chopped into small ½-inch pieces
- ½ cup Parmesan, shredded
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- ½ cup pepitas (pumpkin seeds) or pine nuts
For the dressing:
- ¼ cup olive oil
- juice from half a lemon (approx. 2 tablespoons)
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar (or apple cider vinegar)
- ½ teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon honey or maple syrup (optional)
- Cut brussels sprouts in half through the core. Place them down on a flat surface and thinly slice until all the sprouts are shredded.
- Transfer the shredded brussels sprouts to a large mixing bowl or large platter. Add apples and Parmesan. Scatter the dried cranberries and pepitas on top.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the dressing ingredients until combined, including olive oil, lemon juice, vinegar, salt, and pepper.
- Pour dressing over salad and serve as is, or toss to combine.
How to store: Place leftover shredded Brussels sprout salad in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 4 days.
Freezing: Freezing salad of any kind usually results in limp or mushy vegetables once it’s thawed, but if you want to use the leftovers as ingredients in other dishes (keep reading for some tips) you can freeze the leftover brussels sprouts in a sealed freezer bag for 3-6 months!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Salad
- Method: Tossed
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: shaved brussels sprout salad, raw brussels sprout salad, fall salad with brussels sprouts